Chapter 18

Marla and Kane had a long conversation in his office just before dinner and she left the meeting looking rather subdued, her face tear stained. Elise wondered what had been said but wasn't sure she should ask. She tiptoed past the office, peeking in the open door and saw Kane sitting in his chair. He had his fingers steepled and his eyes closed. A troubled look was on his face, almost as if he were sad. What was he thinking? How he was feeling? There could be no doubt that recent events were weighing heavily on him, and she speculated that he probably felt everything was falling to pieces around him.

Hesitating by the door, Elise waged an internal battle. Part of her wanted to go in and offer comfort, or at least a listening ear, yet she wasn't sure if it would be welcome. Possibly, he just wanted to be left alone for a while without anyone making demands on him. Then again, maybe he was wishing he had someone to share with... Did he ever feel lonely? She realized how very little she knew about her mate. Kane had allowed her small glimpses inside himself—she knew a few of his likes and dislikes with regard to food or music, but for the most part he seemed to be a very private man.

Elise felt a bit guilty when she reflected on their time together. They'd developed a physical relationship and she was comfortable with Kane on that level, however their relationship outside the bedroom was rather superficial. She knew next to nothing about his background, and hadn't really made a great deal of effort to find out much about him. So far, she'd been worried about herself—her own feelings, her own insecurities—and hadn't spent much time thinking about the inner workings of his mind, beyond the fact that as Alpha he felt responsible for the pack.

He did want some form of relationship with her—he'd said as much the other night—but she hadn't really pursued that conversation, which really wasn't very fair of her. She needed to try to find out more about him—ask him some questions about himself—but then again, maybe he didn't want to have a heart-to-heart talk. Lots of men weren't into that. Her father certainly never opened up about anything, at least not since her mother had died.

Nervously, Elise hovered outside the office door. Should she go in or should she leave him be? She was almost about to walk in when the decision was taken from her. The phone rang. Kane reached for it and she walked away, relieved, yet also a bit disappointed that the moment was lost.

~~~

Kane seemed in a better mood at supper that night, though it was hardly possible that he could have been in a worse frame of mind than the previous evening. He announced that a call had come in saying the soil testing looked promising, and it seemed the environmental cleanup costs wouldn't be as extensive as first predicted. Not only would this save the pack a lot of money, but they'd have even less reason to accept the offer from Northern Oil.

Everyone was happy about the news, but then Marla came in and the atmosphere tensed again. No one was quite sure how she and Kane would interact, but Kane addressed her civilly a few times—nothing special, just a 'pass the rolls' and 'I've called about getting your apartment door fixed'—and the tension in the room began to ease as everyone realized that the two had at least reached a tentative peace.

Elise was relieved. Apparently, John was right; Kane didn't hold a grudge; he blew up but then cooled down. It was useful information to know, in case she was ever on the receiving end of his wrath. She was hopeful, however, that such an event wouldn't occur.

"I'm going for a long, relaxing run after dinner to celebrate the good news about the oil spill," Kane announced at the end of the meal. "Anyone want to join me?"

Carrie patted her rounded tummy. "I think Junior and I will pass. I'm barely waddling as it is these days."

"I'll stay in and keep you company." Helen chimed in. "I'm getting too old for late night runs."