Chapter 19

Elise sat in the kitchen idly nibbling on a bagel while watching Helen mix up a batch of muffins. Sunshine was streaming through the white lace curtains into the homey room. It beamed across the marble counter top, highlighting little specks of flour that drifted lazily through the air. The grey-haired woman hummed under her breath as she stirred flour, raisins and spices into the thick, rich batter. Helen never seemed happier than when she was preparing food for the endless stream of visitors through the Alpha house. Sometimes Elise suspected the pack members came more for a sample of Helen's cooking than they did to talk with John or Kane.

This morning, half a dozen men were gathered in the office to discuss a recent financial report. Since the pack was old and well established—well over a century—they'd amassed a tidy sum through the pooling of resources and sound investments. The current economy and the oil spill cleanup were having some minor negative impacts on their capital, or so Kane had explained to her that morning. Not having a head for finances, Elise had merely nodded politely at the gathering before heading to the kitchen where the topics of conversation where likely to be more to her taste.

Carrie was also avoiding the drone of voices embroiled in financial mumbo-jumbo. She sat across the table from Elise, her feet propped on a chair. Her ankles already showed signs of swelling, despite the fact that it was still early in the day. A cup of herbal tea rested on her bulging stomach and she idly rubbed her abdomen as she grumbled. "I am going to be so glad when this is over."

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Seems to me just a month or two ago, you were raving about the wonders of expectant motherhood."

"Yeah, well that was before, when I could still see my feet and get a decent night's sleep." Carrie shifted in her chair. "Now I want this pup out of me and in my arms so that my body is my own again."

"Being pregnant is pretty taxing it seems." Elise furrowed her brow slightly. When she'd decided last night to let nature take its course, she'd only been thinking about the two ends of the project. The fun of having sex with Kane, and the possibility of having a child to love and nurture. She'd conveniently ignored the middle part.

"It has its moments," Carrie sighed but then a smile crept over her face. "But for the most part, it's been an amazing experience. Why? Are you and Kane already thinking of having a family?"

Elise shrugged. "We talked about it. My heat will start next week and I think I'll go drug free and see what happens, especially since I don't react well to the medication." She left out the part about Kane using condoms—she didn't know if he'd appreciate her talking about that with the other women.

Carrie giggled. "I'll tell you what will happen. Your pheromones will turn Kane into the most passionate, possessive mate you've ever seen, while you'll be this sex-starved maniac."

"No, I won't! Will I?" Elise denied the idea but then blushed and bit her lip in trepidation. No one had ever mentioned that part. The idea of being out of control wasn't too appealing.

Helen snorted and then offered some reassurance. "Carrie's just teasing you, Elise. Your first un-medicated heat will seem a bit more intense, because you've never unleashed that side of yourself before and you're not sure what to expect, but it's not a constant state. It's more like waves or the tide. It builds up to a peak, and then ebbs for a while before building up again."

"Oh! That's good. How many...er...tides should I expect?" It was a bit embarrassing for Elise to admit that she didn't know these things, but she'd grown up without a mother. Sarah had stepped in as a surrogate on several occasions but for some reason, this topic had never come up. And the giggling, teenage conversations with her friends possibly hadn't contained the most reliable information.