Chapter 35

Sorry to keep you waiting - real life gets in the way sometimes!

Elise awoke, sensing she wasn't in her own room. The surface beneath her was too firm, the sheet covering her was too scratchy. Overall she felt...numb...as if she was drifting on a cloud. Did that mean she was dead? She opened her eyes a crack just to check, wincing as the bright light assaulted her pupils. A large expanse of white greeted her through the veil of her lashes. Hmm... No, definitely not dead unless the afterlife had a crack in the ceiling plaster. And she certainly wasn't at home. Her bed wasn't this uncomfortable. The infirmary? Possibly. Licking her lips, she tried to swallow. Her mouth felt dry and a bad chemical taste was assaulting her tongue. She needed water. Maybe beside the bed? Starting to turn her head, she frowned as something pulled at the skin on her throat. Carefully lifting her hand, she felt the gauze that was there and tried to recall what had happened.

A slight rustling sound drew her attention and Elise cautiously turned to see Kane sleeping in a chair beside her. Dark circles under his eyes gave them a bruised look and stubble darkened his jaw line. A wave of love and warmth washed over her as she viewed his beloved features. She scanned down his powerful body only to stop when she noticed that his shirt was unbuttoned, revealing bandages wrapped around his chest.

The events of the past twenty-four hours suddenly came rushing back to her. As she relived those last few moments, tears pricked at the back of her eyes and she blinked rapidly to keep them at bay. So much had happened; arguing with Kane and then blood-bonding, Ryne and Kane fighting, Marla. Just the woman's name caused a shiver to run through her. Ambivalence filled her over the woman's fate. She hated what Marla had done, pitting the brothers against each other, killing Zack, trying to ruin Kane's relationship with her... Yet, no matter how she felt about the woman, her own part in Marla's demise was hard to take.

It wasn't in her nature to react violently, but somehow she knew if the situation arose again, she'd do whatever was needed in order to protect her mate. She'd come so close to losing him. Watching the steady rise and fall of Kane's chest comforted her; knowing he was still alive and by her side. Soon her breathing was in time with his own; steady and deep as she drifted off to sleep.

~~~

Sometime later, fingers gently brushing her forehead drew her from her rest. Kane was leaning over her, softly calling her name. Elise blinked at him sleepily and felt a smile forming on her lips. "Hi!"

"Hi yourself." His voice was deep and raspy as if he, too, had just woken up, and indeed that was how he looked. His dark hair was falling in his eyes and he still hadn't shaved. She reached up to caress his stubbled jaw and he pressed a kiss to her palm. "How are you feeling?"

Elise considered the question. Overall, she supposed she was all right; a bit stiff and sore. She tried to shift herself up into a sitting position and was surprised to feel a sense of heaviness coming from her leg. She looked down in confusion and saw a cast around her lower limb.

Kane followed the direction of her gaze with his eyes and he answered her unspoken question. "You had surgery. Your leg was a real mess and it took some work to get it set properly. Nadia was swearing a blue streak when she saw it. Something about idiots that try to walk on a broken leg and the fact that she isn't a miracle worker." He chuckled at the memory and Elise winced, imagining the expression on the nurse practitioner's face. "Your leg will be fine, but unfortunately, even with our rapid healing abilities, you'll be stuck in a cast for some time."

Grimacing, Elise eased herself back against the pillows. Well, at least she was alive. "How's Ryne?"

"He's fine. They removed the bullet and stitched him up. He's resting at the Alpha house right now. In a few days, he'll be as good as new."