Chapter 26

Kanedidn't come home that night. Elise'ssleep had been restless as she kept waking to check his side of the bed only to find cool sheets and a smooth pillow beside her. As a result, she started the day over-tired and with a sense of impending doom. She hoped another wave of desire wouldn't hit her while she was at work. It would be rather difficult to explain why she was hiding in the meat freezer trying to cool down when it was barely above freezing outside.

She was also worried that she hadn't yet told Kane about her meeting with Bryan, which increased the chances of him finding out from someone else. Nor had she talked to Rose. Checking her watch, she saw that there was still some time before she had to leave for work. Making a mental plan, she decided to stop by the infirmary to see Carrie and the baby first, then she'd go looking for Rose, Phoebe or Zoe and set them straight as to what had happened.

Just in case Kane came home while she was gone, she wrote him a note and taped it to the mirror where he was sure to see it. 'Dear Kane, I need to see you and talk as soon as possible. It's important.' She hesitated over the signature. Should she just put 'Elise' or 'love Elise' or maybe some x's and o's for hugs and kisses? Deciding to go out on a limb, she penned 'I love you, Elise' and was surprised at how good it felt to write the words. Giving the note a kiss, she taped it to the mirror and went on her way.

The stop at the infirmary was fun. Carrie looked wonderful—if a little tired—and had a definite glow about her. The baby, John Jr. was adorable and Elise found it hard to set him down. Sniffing, she inhaled the intriguing scent of new baby and marvelled at the strength of his tiny fingers as they clung to her own.

"Oh, Carrie, he's just perfect." She smiled as she handed the baby back to his mother. Immediately her arms felt incredibly empty and she knew that if by chance she became pregnant, she would have no regrets.

Carrie nuzzled his soft downy hair. "I think he's perfect, too."

Elise stayed and chatted for a little while longer, before saying her goodbyes and promising to visit again later in the day. Her next stop was Rose's house. After ringing the bell and knocking several times, she concluded no one was home and turned, scowling in frustration. Darn, Rose! How dare she not be home? She was probably out there right this minute spreading rumours! Stomping down the steps, she headed to the right in search of Phoebe or Zoe. Hopefully, they'd at least be home and she could nip the rumour mill in at least one spot.

She was so intent on her thoughts that she was surprised to find herself at Phoebe's house so soon. Her quick rap on the door was answered immediately, though gaining entrance was another thing.

"Elise." Phoebe greeted her coldly and made no move to let her in.

Deciding to assert her authority, Elise stepped forward, pushing the door open. "We need to talk." Phoebe looked startled and ready to protest, but then acquiesced. Inwardly, Elise gave herself a pat on the back. Score one for her Alpha female authority!

Once inside, Elise quickly took stock of the house. It was a typical family home. From her position in the entryway, she could see into the kitchen where the children's artwork was on the fridge. A family room to the side had toys and a few newspapers strewn about and a basket of laundry waiting to be folded on the sofa.

Gesturing awkwardly, Phoebe led her into the kitchen. Zoe was there and looked surprised when she realized who had been at the door. The atmosphere in the room immediately became thick and uncomfortable. Elise sat on the edge of the chair and cleared her throat. Deciding not to pussyfoot around the issue, she jumped right in.

"Okay, you two, I'm pretty sure I know why you were acting the way you were yesterday. It's because of Rose, isn't it?" She watched them shoot glances at each other, but didn't wait for a reply before continuing. "She told you that she saw me in town with another male and that she saw us hug and—"