Chapter Two

The next morning the two didn't waste too much time as they put out the fire, packed their things and set off. Jaksa still felt groggy with sleep, and kept tripping on loose sticks. Kass let Jaksa borrow his compass as they continued their way to the mountains, or another village for supplies. The sooner they got there, the better. Even if they were early, they could stay around the area until the gates opened. Although Jaksa had never seen the mountains before, he had heard stories from people who had. He explained to the younger boy about why they were going to the mountain kingdom.

"In the mountains there is a huge kingdom,it's massive actually, with towering walls all around to keep monsters out. There are no horrible rulers, no rules and no need to steal! Everyone there is happy. No dark scary forests, no wild hungry wolves, it's the perfect place! Paradise, if you will. Unfortunately, most people who've been have only seen the wall, and only rich people can afford a quick journey to the gates, which only open for a week every 100 years. It's a stupid rule, to make sure the wrong people don't get in. They let anyone in, with a good enough reason of course.''

"What's our reason?" Kass asked, his voice laced with interest.

"We are homeless with no home to go to, surely they'll let two lonely little kids in." Jaksa answered, slightly unsure of himself.

"And if they don't?" Kass asked, seeming scared.

"They will.." Jaksa decided after a few seconds of hesitation. Silence stretched over the two for a while.

"What do people do there?" Kass questioned, wanting to fill the silence.

"I'm not entirely sure, not that many people that visit ever came back to their original home, although i've known people who had family from the mountains visit them. Apparently there are dragons, friendly ones, that people keep as pets." Kass looked amazed. "And lots of fresh food and water for everyone. No one ever gets hungry, or has to drink from puddles!" Jaksa continued eagerly. After many hours Jaksa had told Kass every story, folklore, and myth about the mountains he had ever heard, and by the end Kass was very eager to get to the mountains. "But unfortunately the gates are closed at the moment. There are still a couple years left, that's why we are taking our journey slowly."

"How long have you been travelling for?" Kass wondered, interested in Jaksas story.

"Every day since I was left alone in my village, I wanted to go. I had to see for myself. I heard so many stories about that place, it's just perfect. That was many years ago now. I've made friends, I lost friends, I've even befriended royalty! Although everything seems quieter now, well, that was until I found you." Kass laughed.

"Are you calling me loud?"

Jaksa nodded, laughing. "Just a little."

Kass gave him a playful shove as the two continued their journey around the world.

Looks like the two were staying together.

4 years later, it turns out that was true. Jaksa and Kass have been travelling together for a very long time. Kass now being 19 and Jaksa being 21, they were like brothers. However, their story isn't all sunshine and rainbows. They had to steal, fight village guards, and only burnt a few houses down to get away. They hate this life, but in their mind it's all worth it if they can get to the mountains. Apart from crimes they lived well. As good as criminals on the run could live. Jaksa made sure Kass was protected and fed, while Kass kept him company during the dark, cold nights Jaksa would usually spend alone.

Once spring came the boys had come across a large open field with flowers of all types and large trees dotted around. As they wandered through the beautiful meadow the younger blonde boy spotted a small body of water hidden in the brush. He peered inside and found blue and orange fish scurry away from him in a large group. Frogs rested on near lilly pads and colourful birds sang overhead. Kass looked in awe, as he had never seen fish like these. He put his hand in the water to scoop some water into his mouth and on his face. "Kass, look what i found!" Jaksa called. Kass turned away from the pool to look at his companion. The older boy was holding a fresh red apple in the air. Kass gasped and ran. "Finally! Fresh food!" he cheered, taking a bite from the apple.

He watched closely as Jaksa put more apples in his bed roll. "We can stay here for today, ill set camp over there. You have fun laddie." Jaksa spoke like a parent, ruffling Kass's hair before the blondie ran off back to the pool.

Jaksa watched him go. He sighed dramatically as he began setting his bed roll out onto the floor, along with their other belongings that Kass insisted on keeping. He stood to stretch his back. The older boy looked around the area. In the distance, something caught his eye. He froze. The mountains. In plain sight. He pulled out a large bit of paper that was covered in lines. He counted. 25.. 30.. 35.. The gates were due to open in just a few days. He stood staring at the sight as the wind ruffled his tattered clothes and matted hair. It would take them about 5 days to get there, and Jaksa was confident for once. He smiled excitedly. They finally got to see the mountains. After all these years, all the work would pay off. He sighed once more and layed down, staring at the distance.

Later that night Jaksa found it hard to sleep. They were just so close! He could almost taste the freedom. The gates were going to open so soon. He had been waiting for this his entire life, and now his lifelong dream was just a few days travel away. Thoughts rushed through his head faster than rainfall. Any doubt gone. He was going to achieve his dreams with one of his greatest friends, what more could he possibly want?