Chapter Twenty

Zander walked into the meeting room where his mother had called for him. Jaksa was already there. When Zander walked in the two made eye contact they smiled shyly. The queen however had a much more serious expression on her face. Sasha sat beside her, with Kass and Thomas next to Jaksa. The rest of the seats were empty, with a few guards standing around the room. When the queen saw him she motioned for him to sit next to Sasha.

"Zander, what exactly did your father tell you before sending you here?" she quizzed, her brows furrowed. Her voice was laced with concern.

"He told me there was a robbery problem, I assumed he sent us because he knew how eager Jaksa and Kass would be to help." he explained, growing anxious as the queen sighed.

"I'm sorry to say, but he actually sent me a letter of his true intentions. Here." she explained, passing him a rolled up letter. "He doesn't know that his ex-wife is queen of course. I was surprised too when I received the note. But it seems he cares most for your safety..." He took it carefully, the paper feeling dusty in his hands as he unravelled the note. The letter read: "Dear Queen of Endol.

I hope you receive this letter in good health. I have received the information from the king of Hogsweld that they want my son dead, for they heard of his rejection of Princess Savia and believe it is an outrage. I want to keep my son safe. I know Zander, and I know he would run straight into the heart of the battle, and I can't have that knowing that he is the main target. If he could just stay with you in your castle, just until the battle is over, I would be most grateful.

Thank you

From the King of the Forest Kingdom"

Zander lowers the letter, then suddenly feels a jolt of rage slash through him like a lightning bolt. He slams his fists against the table. Everyone on the table flinches, except for the queen, whose gaze softened as she saw how angry he had become.

She frowned, thinking just how much he looked like his father at that moment.

"Father sent us here to keep us out of a battle!" he snaps, watching as the group all gasp, looking to one another worriedly. Sasha takes the letter and begins reading it outloud. Once she was finished, Thomas looked mortified. Zander stood. "We can't let this happen." he huffed. "I need to help. Jaksa, Kass and Thomas, you stay here with Sasha and mother, I need to make sure my father doesn't get killed." he barked the orders, immediately getting protests.

"No way are you going alone! That King of whatever-the-heck wants your royal ass dead, remember?" Jaksa snapped. Zander gritted his teeth.

"It will be safer if-"

"I've never taken orders before, I'm not going to start now." Jaksa insisted, standing up and folding his arms confidently. "Till death do us part, am i right Princess?" he winked. Zander sighed.

"Okay fine, Jaksa you can come."

"Then we're going too!" Kass declared. "Sophia will be in battle, I must make sure she is safe!"
Thomas scoffed. "Your girlfriend will be fine, she can probably handle a sword better than you!" Kass began to argue back, with Jaksa and Zander joining in. Sasha looks at the queen, who nods.

"Silence!" she shouts suddenly, causing the four to abruptly stop their argument to look at her. "I don't want anyone leaving for battle, but I know I probably can't stop you, if you're as stubborn as your father was. I would rather you left fully prepared, then at night with no gear." she admitted, looking over to her sons. She gestures for them to come to her. She places her arms around both boys, pulling them for a hug. They hug back eagerly, Thomas almost in tears. "Promise me you will visit? At least every few months?" she pleads, looking at them both. Zander nodded, hugging her tighter.
"Of course, mother."'