∣ 003; r a i n

. *. ⋆

Eloise had already been living at Thorpe Abbots for a whole month— the entire month of July, an eventful month at that.

She had been on five missions in the thirty-plus days she had been living at the base, and they were indeed missions. That's really the only thing she could say about said missions— they were dangerous, as always.

She almost got killed around twenty times, but again, that was normal. She hadn't been murdered or shot, so she would call that a win on her end.

Her most recent mission had been two days ago, just before the end of the month.

Eloise was assigned to attend Brady's crew for the mission. They had been placed to lead in the low Squadron. Eloise wasn't entirely sure what the mission was, as when the boys got told what their mission would be, Eloise was in the hospital wing getting her supplies ready, as well as getting dressed for the frigid temperatures up in the air.

Two hours into the mission, they were attacked— one of the gunners got shot early on, and Eloise tended to them instantly. Then, she had to rush to the tail end of the fortress where the back gunner was— his leg was shot three times.

All that mattered, though, was that nobody died on the B-17 she was on, as well as any of the other B-17s in the 100th Squadrons.

No one went down; no one had to bail out.

It was a mission that wasn't too bad compared to some of the others Eloise had endured during her time as a Flight Nurse.

Of course, that didn't stop John Egan from being the first on the runway to their plane as she was helping the injured waist gunner off the aircraft.

He was always on the runways after missions, and after making sure his boys were okay, he'd always go up to Eloise to talk with her.

Eloise's hands gripped the boy from under his arms as his partner in the waist of the plane carefully dropped him from the B-17s opening, her eyes glued to the crimson bandage that was wrapped tightly around his torso— it was helping to stop the bleeding, but it wasn't doing enough.

If she didn't get him help soon, she wasn't sure how much longer he could last— he was barely responsive, his skin a ghostly pale.

She scanned the area, listening to the sound of the alarms as the rescue crews sped over to the runway, already transporting the injured to the emergency transport cars and down to the medical wing.

Her eyes locked with Lillian's, and with an urgent look in Eloise's eyes, Lillian and three other nurses ran over with a stretcher, Eloise helping them place the injured gunner onto it.

"Get him to medical immediately— he's been bleeding out for hours, I'm not sure how's he's still up— "

"Got it, El," Lillian nodded, hoisting the injured up and into the back of the emergency transport.

Eloise sighed, looking around as she watched all the injured men get taken to the medical center— she ran a hand along her air, breathing out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Perhaps she had been unknowingly holding it through the whole mission; it would explain why she always felt so awful after her missions.

"You doing okay, Barlowe?"

Eloise clenched her jaw at the sound of the Major's voice— him tormenting her was not what she needed right now.

She turned, her eyes connecting with his.

"Doing just fine, Major."

"Bucky."