The Travails of Oliver Otter: Never Play Hockey without a Cup

A/N - Though not based upon a true story, this story is very reminiscent of some of my earliest feelings on the subject of the story.

As Oliver and his family stepped into the Mall for the first time in all week, he felt excitement growing in him. He was looking forward to going over to GameStop and seeing if there were any exciting Video Games to look at.

"Mom, can I-"

"Yeah, go ahead," she said.

"Mom," cried one of Oliver's sisters "I need to pee!"

"No, no sweetheart," Oliver's Mom hurried to cover her mouth, "We don't say that out loud, remember? Other people could be listening."

Oliver's Mom looked around self-consciously to make sure nobody was paying attention, then she led her children discreetly over the bathroom. Quietly, she stepped into the bathroom to make sure it was empty, then she peaked out.

"The coast is clear, you can come in," she looked at Oliver, "Can you keep watch?"

Oliver stood awkwardly by the entrance and nodded.

"But Mom," complained Oliver's sister, "They have doors here."

"We still don't want anyone to know you're in here, it's just not proper."

Oliver stood awkwardly by the door while his sister went, then he waited while his other sister went too. Fortunately nobody came by while he was waiting, because he hated trying to explain to others why they shouldn't go into the bathroom without telling them that anybody was in there. Plus, a 3rd Grade boy otter standing in front of the girl's bathroom... weird. Never go in public, he always thought, it's super embarrassing to let others know you have to go.

Finally, they came out, and Oliver straightened up, "Can I go to GameStop now?" he asked.

"Yes, of course sweety," said his Mom.

"Thank you," Oliver said, quickly taking off in excitement.

Once at GameStop, he started looking at the games with wonder, so many options. This Ori and the Blind Forest looked fun. He stayed there awhile, considering his options, even talked to the store manager about the latest releases, and finally selected the new Sonic Superstars Game, and headed out the door. Not once during that whole time did a single creature in the store, himself included, think about once that he was an otter who would sometimes use the restroom; that was just the way he'd been taught it should be.

CRACK!

Oliver watched as the baseball soared across the court, probably a hundred miles per hour. It bounced off the ground and everyone went running for it. From his seat as a benchwarmer, he couldn't help but wince. Those balls looked hard, he couldn't imagine getting hit by one of those at that speed.

Oliver noticed that his throat felt dry, so, standing up, he went over to the water cooler and took off a paper cup from the stack.

CRACK!

As he drank his water, he watched the game proceed. Maybe another cup...

Oh, Billy made a Home Run, he knew he could do it.

Suddenly, Oliver stopped.

Oliver looked at his empty paper cup, feeling a bit uncomfortable. He'd probably drunk too much water, and now he needed to go.

Nobody was watching, maybe he could sneak off to the bathroom real quick.

As he made his way to the bathroom, he looked around to make sure no one was watching. He reached the door, slowly opened it...