No Longer Scared

inspired by my spring break hawaii trip (and before you start reading, im really sorry i made this sad when it was inspired by something so happy)

(they are all in their 20s)

---------------

It was a normal, regular, non-special summer day at the beach.

Or at least, it was supposed to be. 

They were all vacationing at a lux resort on a beach. 

All of them were in the water, except Kai, who was "taking a break" (he hadn't even got into the water in the first place) under a big umbrella on a blanket on the shore. 

No one knew what was happening until they heard the scream. 

It wasn't a high-pitched scream, and it wasn't a disgusted shriek. 

It was a scream of pure terror.  

Kai then heard the whistle. 

TWEET! TWEET! TWEET! "Everyone, out of the water!" TWEET! He recognized the lifeguard's voice. 

There was a tidal wave of people shouting and yelling and running out of the water. 

He jumped up. Something was happening. 

Finally, he saw the dark red stain in the middle of the bright, blue water. 

He didn't recognize the person, at first. They were under the water, thrashing. 

Until he did. 

-----------------

He was going to die. 

He knew it. 

It was all fine. They were laughing about something, what was it exactly? He couldn't remember. 

And then he felt something wrap around his leg. 

Searing pain erupted from his ankle as he screamed. 

Everything else was drowned out by the water. 

He was dragged along the bottom of the ocean, salt stinging his eyes and going up his nose. It was the least of his problems, though. 

The main issue was the huge sea predator clinging to his leg with razor-sharp teeth and a killer death grip. 

His breath was taken away, and that was when he knew. 

He was going to die. 

He couldn't see, even though his eyes were open. 

He was paralyzed with fright.

He couldn't move.

All he could do was sit here and watch as his ankle was being ripped apart. 

And then came the problem of the small capacity of his lungs. 

He choked on water, unable to breathe. 

It's true what they say, you know. The thing about your whole life flashing before your eyes. 

He liked to keep his mind organized, with everything in carefully sorted boxes. 

Now, all the boxes were tipped over and spilling their contents everywhere. 

One box held his mom. All the memories he kept tucked away came flooding back to him. 

The way she would comfort him as he cried at night. 

When his dad got mad at him for getting into fights, she hugged him close and told him they would be fine. 

And then the day he watched her leave, all the water in his body gushing out of his eyes.