Prom Disaster Pt 4

Nya was still a bit pissed at Kai. But she felt bad for ignoring Cole. So that's what she told him. She walked right up to him in school the next day. "Cole, I'm really sorry I ignored you, I was mad at Kai." 

"Yeah its fine. Kai's talking to me again so no big deal."

"Hold on. Did he ask you to prom? I didn't get a chance to tell him to." 

"Yup he did."

"Okay. I was worried there for a sec."

"Yeah right." 

"I was!!!"

"Did Walker ever get the courage to ask you?" Cole asked.

"Wait, you know him?" 

"Used to. We were besties back in elementary school. He started drifting away in middle school, and by the time we got to high school, forget it. I hardly knew him then."

"Well, he hasn't asked me yet, and I'll tell you why. It's because of Kai."

"Ohhhhh, is that why you two were fighting?" 

"Shhh. No interruptions. Anyway, Kai told Jay that I didn't like him, even though he DEFINITELY KNEW that I had a crush on him. And Jay told me that Kai said that, and then me and Kai got pissed off, and then our dad got pissed off, and then our mom got pissed off, and then we got in trouble."

"Wow. Um. Okay. Great story?" Cole couldn't figure out the correct response. 

"Yeah. I don't know, I told Jay and he was kinda chill about it, but now I don't know what to do. Ugh, high school is so complicated." she complained. 

"Listen, why don't I talk to Jay and I'll, I don't know, convince him?"

"But you and Jay aren't friends anymore."

"That doesn't mean I can't talk to him. I talk to the detention teacher all the time, does that mean I'm friends with her?"

"That's  just because you're in detention 24/7."

"No I'm not. Its more like...24/6. I never get detention on a Thursday."

"Not the point. But how would you even approach him? You guys haven't talked in years."

"I'll figure it out."

"But - " she was cut off by the bell. She quickly turned back to Cole, but he wasn't there. He was down the hall talking to her crush. 

"Jay? Okay, so I know we haven't talked in like 3 years, but this is important."

Jay looked up and saw Cole. "Yeah, okay, what?"

"It's about Nya." 

Jay sighed. "I've had a crush on her for forever, and then her brother just tells me that she doesn't like me. C'mon, what kinda crap is this? I know she likes me back."

"Yes she does."

"And I don't even know why I stopped treating her like that. Why do I care what Kai says? I know its not true."

"Yeah, okay, but - "

"He's the bastard of the group." Jay said abruptly.

"Sometimes. Yes." Cole felt bad for agreeing. "But anyway, are you going to ask her to prom if you don't care what Kai says?"

Jay wasn't going to do it. It would be just too much. But now that Cole said it this way, he was definitely not going back. "Yeah, I was planning to." he lied. 

Cole opened his mouth to speak again and their homeroom teacher got right up in their face. "WHY AREN'T YOU TWO IN CLASS??????!!!!!!" He screamed. 

"We, um, were just going to class. We had to go to the bathroom." Jay lied. 

"THAT'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH EXCUSE!!! DETENTION!!!" 

"Okay. No problem." Cole said, and to Jay's shock, he just started walking to the detention room. He motioned to Jay to go along with it, and so he did. 

"What the hell man? My parents are gonna get pissed." Jay said once they were out of sight. 

"Relax. He never tells the detention teacher when kids are coming. I've never had an actual detention that's on my record from him. I usually just hide out in the janitor's closet or something until the period is over, which isn't long, and then I go to my next class."

Jay breathed. "Okay, thanks dude. I never would have known." 

"To be fair, the only reason I know is I'm almost at 4 digits for the number of times I've been sent to detention. So I'm basically a pro."

"I wonder if there's like, a hall of fame for how many times you can be sent to detention in high school." 

"Yeah, I would win."

The two boys stood in the janitor's closet, laughing and talking like good friends. 

----------------------

part 5 coming your way