Chapter 2

The floorboards creaked under his soles as Bobby explored the upper floor of the house.

It was a modest layout consisting of two bedrooms and a family bathroom. He made a start in the master bedroom which appeared to belong to the victim. A double bed was made up neatly with lemon patterned bedsheets and matching curtains. The bedside table had a small drawer that Bobby searched to no avail. The dresser had a few bottles of perfume and lotion standing upon it. Again, no luck in the drawers either.

Bobby searched the two remaining rooms with a fine tooth comb - keeping the cloaking spell at the forefront of his mind. The smallest room appeared to belong to a child. There were posters stuck neatly in rows along the walls, a bookshelf full of cassette tapes and a desk on the far wall. Nothing turned up in his search aside from a few Smash Hits magazines and a brochure for a summer camp which was likely where the child was right now. "Poor kid, coming home to find your mother's dead" he thought to himself.

The bathroom offered no further clues. As he walked from the bathroom across the landing, he felt a sudden surge of temperature in his pocket. The amulet was hot to the touch now. He squinted, confused as to why it was flaring up in such an unsuspecting location. It calmed down significantly as he approached the top of the stairs. Out of sheer curiosity and perhaps a small amount of gut feeling, he retraced his steps and, sure enough, the amulet's temperature swelled to the point where he had to drag it quickly from his pocket as he was stood in the exact same location.
Its glow was so bright now, it was almost unbearable. What was he missing?

Recalling the nuances of the cloaking spell—how it didn't hide objects but merely diverted attention from them—Bobby paused, taking a moment to let his eyes wander without focus, to perceive rather than look. He became aware of a narrow door in front of him. "That's a cloaking spell if ever I saw one" he muttered to himself as he pulled the door open with a creak. It was a closet, full of towels and bed linen. Unassuming, so why hide it? He wondered.

He soon found out when he saw two tear filled eyes staring terrified at him from the top shelf.