Chapter 8

Within minutes of explaining the situation to Dean, Melody was huddled over her laptop, frantically trying to trace the last known location of Sam's cell phone. Meanwhile, Dean raced down the highway in the Impala as the sun began to set. "Melody, I need directions fast," Dean urged abruptly over the phone. "The location is vague, it's a rural area a few miles away. I'll text you the coordinates," Melody replied, feeling an overwhelming sense of helplessness.

In a rush of air, the trench-coated angel, Castiel, materialized in the room. "Hello, Melody. I heard your call. I'm here to assist," Cas announced. "Take me to Sam, please," Melody pleaded, tears welling in her eyes. "I can't risk it. Let Dean handle this," Cas responded, his voice unwavering. Melody, recognizing Cas's valid concern, appealed to his evolving humanity since his time on Earth. "You would do it for Dean, wouldn't you?" she challenged. Cas, raising an eyebrow at her audacity, relented and placed a hand on Melody's shoulder, transporting them instantly to a densely wooded area.

As darkness fell, it became challenging to navigate. Melody could hear the gentle babble of a nearby stream. Cas, assuming the lead, directed them. Upon reaching a clearing, a revelation struck Melody to her core. The scene from her vision unfolded before her: a distant road to the right, a trickling stream to the left through a mossy expanse. This was the spot. "There!" Cas pointed out as they spotted Sam. Rushing to his side, Melody sprung to action, checking his pulse. The sight of Sam, battered and bloodied, shattered her.

The roar of the Impala signaled Dean's arrival, and he sprinted down the incline. "Sammy!" Dean's voice cracked with emotion as he assessed the grim scene. Cas's expression was solemn as he shook his head towards Dean. Dean took over CPR from Melody, urging Sam to fight as tears welled in his eyes. Sam remained motionless, his lifeless appearance was haunting. Overwhelmed, Melody felt a wave of sorrow rising within her, her body trembling with grief, she jogged over to a nearby tree and found herself vomiting.

Desperation hung heavy in the air as Dean implored Castiel for intervention, his pleas laced with a mixture of hope and anguish. "Do something Cas!"
Cas' voice was heavy with regret. "You know I would if I could Dean. You know I can't."
Dean's fists pounded the ground in frustration. Melody returned from the edge of the forest to find Dean and Cas, frozen in sorrowful silence—Sam's passing now a painful reality. Collapsing beside Sam's lifeless corpse, Melody wept uncontrollably, her head resting on his cold, blood-streaked chest. He was really gone.