Chapter 3

"What the hell?!" Bobby was taken by surprise (which didn't happen all too often). The figure whimpered. Opening the door a fraction more sent a beam of sunlight flooding into the closet and revealed a small, trembling girl.

Bobby was all too aware of the amulet that remained hanging from his hand - it was brighter than ever. Bingo. "But you're just a kid?!" She nodded wearily, her face glazed with tears. She couldn't have been older than 7. "My mom, she- she's...I mean. They got her." she stammered, looking utterly defeated. This was all starting to make sense - he'd not found a key because he was thinking too literal. He never expected the key to be a child. And neither did whoever was hunting it, luckily.

"Balls" he muttered under his breath, knowing he'd have to get the child to safety and call his superiors. "Come on kid". He scooped her down from her perch on the shelf and steadied her while she found her feet. She'd clearly been hiding in there a while. Bobby instructed her to pack a bag and he escorted her past her mother's corpse, putting himself in the way to block her view, and out of the back door to his car.

Undetected by the perimeter cops, he drove for an hour or so, the child sobbing in the back seat, until he came across a service station. "Wait here, I'll keep an eye on you" he assured her, stepping out of the car to use the pay phone. He didn't get chance to speak much on the call; "I've tried every test I can think of, I don't know what she is...yeah...No way. But ma'am I can't-...ok, I see."

"Looks like you're with me for now kid" he explained upon his return, handing her a bottled drink and a chocolate bar from the service station store. "You got a name?"
"Melody" replied the child softly. "Well Melody, we've a plane to catch apparently".