Chapter 6

Malone's was a popular bar in the town - mainly because it was the only place that stayed open past 10pm. When the boys were home, the four of them made a point of visiting for some pool, karaoke and whiskey.

They piled through the door and headed towards their usual seats. Dean made a direct path to the bar. "The usual?" he inquired, miming a drinking gesture with his hand. Melody nodded and settled into a chair. "Three whiskeys on the rocks and a Bud light for the health freak" he gestured towards Sam.

The drinks and laughter were flowing when the doors creaked open. "Look what the cats dragged in!" Bobby exclaimed as a squad of their hunter friends; Jody, Garth, Ellen and Jo approached the table. "Oh my god, I didn't know you were coming!" She said, giving them all a squeeze. "The boys made a few calls, it was very hush-hush" Jo explained. Sam shrugged and smiled sweetly at Melody in response; enjoying seeing her so happy.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny..." Garth was domineering the karaoke machine. "Somebody needs to put this clown out of his misery" Ellen groaned. Dean approached the DJ.

"Thank you, uh, Garth, for that performance," the DJ attempted to wrestle the mic away, but Garth beamed, blowing kisses to the unamused crowd, oblivious to their reactions. "Moving on, we have Sammy and Mel up next with a classic from REO Speedwagon," announced the DJ. The duo exchanged a mix of confusion and horror, realizing who had set them up for this.

Sam's brow furrowed. There was only one person who called them by those names. "Dean!" He grumbled, throwing a beer mat at him. Dean sat chucking to himself. "Go on!!! It's your birthday! You gotta embarrass yourself!" Jody said, elbowing Melody's side.

Their rendition of Can't Fight This Feeling was pitchy but a crowd pleaser - mainly because the crowd were all drunk by this point. Dean spent the entire 4 minutes giving Sam pointed nods from where he was sat with his feet up on the table. Sam shot him warning glances back.

Melody, caught up in the moment, was too focused on the impromptu performance to notice the irony of singing a love ballad next to Sam. After the song ended, amidst the applause, Sam, with a hint of tipsiness, high-fived Melody and pulled her into a hug. The embrace felt different this time, charged with an unspoken tension. Dean cheered, more for the hug than the singing. Melody's cheeks flushed as she leaned into Sam's chest, feeling his heartbeat through his shirt. Time seemed to slow as they lingered in the embrace before abruptly pulling away. Sam broke the moment, suggesting another drink, eager to move on.

As the night progressed, Garth hogged the karaoke machine with more songs before it was switched off. Jo, Ellen, and Garth left in a cab, followed by a quick exit from Cas. Jody took charge, arranging a cab for Bobby, who was clearly past his limit. Dean downed his drink and bid farewell, hurrying out with Bobby and Jody, helping her keep Bobby upright.

"Bye then guys" Melody shrugged. Sam scoffed at their less than tactful exits. "You had a good birthday?" He turned Melody's attention back to him. "It's been great. Not looking forward to the hangover tomorrow though." she beamed at him, heart beating out of her chest. She found it so difficult being alone with Sam, it took her to the limits of self control. Sam shared his plans for a hunt with Dean the next day, a tinge of regret in his tone.

"You ever think about getting out like Garth did?" Melody dared to ask. Garth had retired from hunting and gone back into dentistry. He and his wife had not long since welcomed twin boys. "Ha. Picket fence life? Sounds like the pretend play we used to do as kids. Closest I'll ever get to that. Never ends well for me." Sam responded, a melancholy smile on his lips. "What about you?" She wasn't prepared for her question to backfire on her. "Erm, well, you've put me on the spot! I dunno...I suppose I'd endanger anyone around me because of what I am, so I can't see that ever happening for me either." She mulled it over. "Basically, we're all fucked." Sam laughed.

The conversation lightened up and they finished their drinks and made their way home. The cab ride was comfortably silent.

"Why is it that being stealthy becomes so much trickier after a drink or two?" Sam chuckled softly, deftly catching the coat stand he'd bumped into in the hallway before it clattered to the ground. Melody slipped off her shoes and maneuvered around Sam to hang up her coat. She found herself seeking any excuse to be close to him, relishing the exhilaration coursing through her veins, fueled by the 99% whiskey content in her blood at that particular moment.

Bobby had passed out on the sofa in the study. Sam covered him with a blanket and started up the stairs after Melody. Dean's bedroom door was shut and he was snoring lightly. "Well, this is me" She gestured awkwardly towards her room. "Really? Didn't know we were neighbours" Sam quipped whilst standing outside his own bedroom door opposite, his thumbs tucked awkwardly into the pockets of his jeans. Melody tentatively placed her hand on the door handle, reluctant to enter her room. "Oh, Sam," she murmured, swiveling back selfishly to steal a few more seconds of him. "Thank you for making today so special." Sam acknowledged her with a nod, a grin playing on his lips. She turned back to her room.

Her footsteps paused as he called out in a hushed tone, "Melody, wait." He was right behind her now, a gentle force keeping the door ajar with his large hand. Her eyes widened and her heart seemed to drum in her ears. Swiveling to face him, Sam cupped her face in his hands, his lips urgently meeting hers.

It was all she'd been longing for for a long time, and it felt amazing. A surge of desire coursed through her, she needed him. Their kisses grew frantic, Sam's nibble on her lower lip evoking a soft moan from her, her hands threading through his hair.

As they explored each other, Melody's fingers fumbled with his shirt buttons, while Sam trailed kisses down her neck. The escalating passion was mutual, each had an insatiable hunger for the other.

As quickly as it had all started, it came to an abrupt end. Sam regained composure, pulling away and lightly restraining Melody's wrists to prevent her taking any more of his shirt off. "Damn," he breathed out. "We can't do this, it's too risky," he uttered, visibly torn. "Sam... what?" Melody was beyond confused. He merely shook his head, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have started this," before retreating to his room and closing the door with a click, leaving Melody standing there, bewildered by the sudden turn of events.