Chapter 14

The case was proving a lot more difficult than Melody had anticipated, she felt like it was wrapping tighter around her with each passing day. Usually there was a slip up along the way that would lead to a breakthrough. Nothing had been found at the crime scene besides the hex bag; no sulphur, no EMF. Nothing. Whoever this witch was, she was very careful.

"Got any idea of a motive yet?" She'd called Bobby to mull some ideas. "Not a clue. Small, close knit town. Everyone knows everyone, so they've all got too many people in common to narrow it down. All from different backgrounds; the first vic was a retired school teacher, the second a local mechanic, now the store owner. All loved by the community. No obvious enemies." "What about age?" Bobby suggested. "Hm, they are all similar ages but that's not saying much round these parts." "I'll let ya know if I find out where they got their hex bag supplies from." "Thanks Bobby. How's Sam?" She tried to sound casual. Bobbys tone sounded as close to cheerful as it got for him; "He's through the worst of it Cas says. I'm sure he'd appreciate a call again from you soon, he seems to perk up a bit after he's had a chat with you." Truth be told, the feeling was mutual.

-

"The charity ball's coming up soon. You should be my date." Hugo had invited Melody to his house for dinner and he wasn't beating about the bush. Melody practically choked on a sprig of asparagus as the statement jolted her from her thoughts about the case. "Isn't that like a big night for you though...and it's not for 6 weeks?" "Exactly" he beamed, clearly confident she'd still be around. Maybe he was picking up on the fact she couldn't seem to stay away from him no matter how she tried. 

Hugo's house was stunning. A contemporary beachfront property that did look a bit out of place in the rustic town - just like him. Inside, the lower floor was open plan and airy, leading out to a small garden with a hot tub and views over the ocean. The upstairs had a beautiful glass fronted balcony off the master bedroom - you could see for miles on a clear day. He'd clearly made this house his own and it was a stark contrast to the cheap motels Melody was used to.

He could read Melody's apprehension; "C'mon, it'll be fun. Plus we might raise some cash for people who can't afford their own legal aid. It's a win-win." He pushed, persuasion was like his second language. "Ugh, fine." She reluctantly agreed. "Great. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything."

In agreeing to be Hugo's date, Melody was not just saying yes to an evening of diversion. Each step forward, while uncertain, carried the promise of discovery—a journey not just of the case at hand but of personal thresholds waiting to be crossed...she just always expected to be crossing them with someone else.