Chapter 13

Melody dragged herself out of bed, legs still slightly wobbly, and angrily gathered up her clothes that were strewn across the room. She threw on an oversized sleep tee and checked her phone. No new messages. She flopped herself in the worn armchair with a sigh.

Moments later, the door handle began to rattle. Melody shot up and grabbed a pair of chopsticks sat on the coffee table in a carton of day old noodles. The downside to her new found normality- she couldn't see things coming and had to rely on sharp pointy objects to defend herself. The door swung open.

"Woah!!! I come in peace!" Hugo's voice filled the room, pushing out the unease in the air. Melody relaxed. "Sorry. Old habits. I thought you'd changed your mind." "My phone died and I didn't wanna wake you. I popped out to get you your usual and thought we could use some breakfast after last night's activities." he gestured to the takeaway coffee cups and a brown paper bag hooked on his arm. "Do you threaten all your dates with tiny wooden stakes?" He'd taken it well. She had to laugh out loud to herself for being so skeptical. Hugo's understanding was unexpected. It was a small, yet significant moment of connection, softening her skepticism and inadvertently anchoring Melody further to the normality that Hugo brought to the table.

-

Hugo had complicated Melody's plans a lot - she didn't expect to get attached or to stay still for so long. She was spending more and more time with him (and Bernie of course) and she felt a deep attraction - anyone in their right mind would, he was a delicious man -  but she felt the potential for something deeper, more profound than she had allowed herself to feel in a long time. In all fairness, the case was still ongoing so she had to stick around. But she was beginning to not want to leave afterwards.

Yet, her choices were continually tested by Sam's gradual recovery and his intermittent presence in her life, even if only through their phone calls. Each interaction with Sam was a reminder of the life she had left behind, a life that despite its danger, held something she feared she could never replace.

What she felt for Sam and Hugo had her mind swimming with what ifs. The knowledge that her very existence could be a magnet for danger added layers to her hesitation to sway towards either, strengthening the walls she built around herself.

The peace she found in Hugo's company and the flirtation with a normal life was overshadowed by the unresolved case that loomed large - a constant reminder of what brought her there in the first place. Each clue that edged her closer to unraveling the mystery, also reminded her of the risks of her chosen path—a path distinctly at odds with the life Hugo offered.

Melody couldn't deny that her connection with Sam, though altered by distance and occasional silence, remained a potent force in her life. She faced a crossroads. Among the allure of two vastly different worlds, the only certain thing she could cling to was that trouble was never far away.