Chapter 21

"I could get used to this." Hugo commented through a mouth full of steak. "What? Having someone at home cooking for you?" Melody tried to respond how she normally would to not raise suspicion. "Haha, no. Coming home to you after a tough day." He corrected.

Melody was itching to ask him about the parcel to gauge his reaction, but she was worried it would put her in danger too. "What's been so tough about it? Anything you wanna talk about?" She figured she'd take the stance of concerned, caring fiancé and hopefully get some information in the process. Hugo shuffled some broccoli around his plate with his fork as he mulled it over. "Ah, just being cooped up in that office all day. It's nothing." He smiled gently, reaching over and pulling her head towards his to plant a tender kiss on her forehead.

"All day?" Melody quizzed. Hugo's smile faded. "Did you pop out to see Mrs Cho by any chance?" Oops, word vomit. Hugo's brow furrowed and his face looked genuinely cruel for a second. "Were you spying on me?!" He didn't sound impressed. Melody kept her cool. "Not at all. I had an appointment with her and I saw you leaving with a package." She fibbed, it sounded better than telling him she'd snooped in his trash. Hugo sighed. "I didn't want to have to tell you this, but it looks like I've been busted."

Melody's heart started racing. What was he concealing?