Chapter 22

Melody waited with bated breath for Hugo to continue his confession.

"I didn't want to have to tell you this because I'm ashamed. It's embarrassing"

I wouldn't exactly call murdering people using magic "embarrassing", she thought to herself as she stayed silent - holding space for him to continue.

He sighed, defeated. "It's better that I show you." He stood up from the table and began walking towards the staircase. Unlocking the office door, he used another key to open a cupboard in his desk. Sure enough, there was the small cardboard box from Mrs Cho's house. Melody was on edge, scanning the room for anything to defend herself with as he opened the lid of the box...

She was hit by a strong smell, a mix of cloves and herbs.

"So, as you know, there's been a few people pass away in this town recently." He started to explain. "And I've been dealing with all their affairs for the families. Yeah, sure, I'm making a good dime from it, but it's more work than I'm used to. It's been taking its toll on me and, I'm gunna just say it, my dick too." He looked entirely stone faced. Melody nervously laughed "...what? I don't understand". Plot twist. She was both relieved and shocked. This perfect man had a chink in his armour like most others.

This was clearly difficult for Hugo to say. He sat on the edge of the desk with his shoulders slumped. She'd never seen him look so small, like he'd literally and figuratively shrunk. "When I'm stressed out I can't...perform. And the last thing I want is to not be able to fuck you senseless." Melody wasn't following. "See, word travels fast. I couldn't go into a store and buy some blue pills. I'd be the talk of the town. Mrs Cho had given me some ingredients to add into my protein shakes to naturally boost my testosterone which has been helping. I didn't want you to know because I don't want you looking at me as less of a man."

Melody was taken aback. Not the kind of confession she was expecting at all. "So, let me check I'm following. You've been getting help from Mrs Cho to help get your dick up?"
"Essentially, yeah" he nodded. Melody took one last glimpse in the box as he began to put it away. The smell of the ingredients faded.

"That's nothing to be ashamed about. You can tell me anything you know, I am your fiancé after all."
She reassured him, rubbing his solid arms. It didn't even feel like she'd orchestrated those words herself, but they'd fallen from her mouth all the same.

"I'm gonna grab a shower. Care to join me?" Hugo headed towards the doorway. "Absolutely" Melody nodded.