Chapter 19

In true Melody fashion, she decided to bury her own personal crisis and lose herself in the day job again. She needed to turn up the heat on this case if she wanted to stop someone else from falling victim.

Entering the local chemist under the guise of needing painkillers for her hangover, Melody found the store quiet except for one other customer and the jolly owner, Dr. Cho, in his neatly pinned white coat. As she reached for the painkillers and brought them to the counter, Dr. Cho congratulated her on her engagement to Hugo. Surprised by the news spreading so quickly, Melody responded lightly "Wow, news travels fast!". "Small towns eh?" He smiled. Their conversation shifted to Dr. Cho's plans to expand, mentioning his wife's holistic medicine practice in the adjacent unit that was now vacant due to Jim Wright's passing...and had been conveniently and generously left to them by the late store owner himself. Intrigued by the mention of holistic remedies, Melody accepted a card from Dr. Cho, "Holistics by Cho," any lead was welcome at this point.

-

On her walk back to the motel her phone rang. "Dean?" She was slightly taken aback. "Yeah, you not got caller ID Mel?" He said dryly. She was definitely in his good books again. "We need to talk. We've got an update for you."

She stood off to one side and tucked herself in the entrance of an alleyway for some privacy. "Ok shoot."
"Well, ya know how Sammy's been working his way through the group who...ya know." "Yes I know, go on." "Well they were all demons. Anyways, we don't think the leader is a demon, that's why he was so on the back foot. Cas says demons wouldn't be able to wield that amount of dark magic, plus Sammy's mind was turned to soup too. Real powerful stuff."
Melody thought back to her calls with Sam, it was clear whoever had hurt him had taken measures to make sure he didn't remember who they were, he still couldn't recall exactly what killed him. "So basically we're dealing with a real nasty son of a bitch. We've got reason to believe they're working their way closer to you, omens are popping up all over the place and you're right in the middle. We need to get you someplace safe." "I can't Dean." Melody felt a pang of guilt. What would she tell Hugo? "Why the hell not?" She couldn't bring herself to tell Dean the truth either. This was getting messy. "I'm on a case. It'll look suspicious to the MoL if I abandon it. They'll figure out what's gone down with Sam. I'll be locked away." Dean remained silent for a moment. "Mkay, well keep your Spidey senses sharp and get home when you can."

Home? Melody thought to herself, feeling the cold key to Hugo's house in her pocket, a manifestation of the crossroads she was lingering at.