chapter one

Will

"Shit." Will said as he scrambled out of bed, stepping over the piles of clothes on his floor towards his beeping alarm clock. He cursed himself in his head for leaving it on his dresser instead of his bedside table.

He opened up his wardrobe and pulled out a pair of denim jeans and a white tee shirt and pulled them on, slipping on a pair of socks before walking downstairs.

"Hi!" Jane said, stuffing a piece of buttered toast into her mouth and waving at Will as he walked into the kitchen.

Jane Hopper was Wills step sister. She was the adopted daughter of Jim Hopper, the chief of police. Jim and Wills mum, Joyce, had got together when will was 15. He was now almost 17, his birthday would be in three days.

"Hey," Will replied, "you want a ride to school?" He grabbed the tub of peanut butter out of the pantry and started spreading it on his toast.
"Sorry I'm getting a lift with Mike." Jane replied, smiling apologetically.

Mike Wheeler.

Mike Wheeler. Jane's boyfriend and Will's crush for as long as he could remember. In a way it really irritated Will that Jane got to be the one with Mike even though Will had known him far longer. But Will could never be with Mike, not in the same way Jane could be with Mike.

"Hi sweetheart." Joyce said, walking into the room and giving Will a big hug.
"Hey mum." Will said smiling down at her. Will was now 5 inches taller than her and Joyce wasn't happy about it.

As Joyce walked over to where Jane was sitting to give her a kiss on the cheek the doorbell rang.
"I'll get it." Will said. He opened the door and standing there was Mike Wheeler.
"Hey!" Mike said, a childlike grin plastered across his face.
"Hi." Will whispered, smirking slightly as the sight of the curly haired boy infront of him.
"Is Jane here?" Mike asked, tilting his head slightly.
"Oh yeah of course." Will said, taking a step back.

There was a moment of awkward silence before Jane showed up behind Will.
"Hey babe," Jane said, walking past Will and looping her arms around Mike's neck, kissing him for a moment before pulling away, "you get in the car and I'll be right there!" Jane walked away to grab her backpack.

"Do you want a ride aswell? It'll save petrol." Mike asked.
"Oh yeah sure!" Will replied, he felt his cheeks go pink.

"Cmon guys stop hanging around!" Jane giggled, grabbing Mike's hand and pulling him towards the car. Will followed and slid into the backseat as Jane and Mike buckled their seatbelts in the front.

Mike started the car and Jane turned on the radio, humming along to the song playing. Will watched Mike drive, one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on Jane's thigh.

Jessie's got himself a girl and I want to make her mine
And she's watching him with those eyes
And she's loving him with that body, I just know it
Yeah and he's holding her in his arms late, late at night
You know, I wish that I had
Jessie's girl

The radio was turned all the way up, drowning out any thoughts Will might have been having otherwise staring at Mike and Jane.

---

They sat at their round lunch table in the cafeteria. Will looked around at all his friends, Max Mayfield had her head rested on Lucas Sinclair's shoulder, her long ginger hair falling down both of their backs. Dustin Henderson was sat next to Lucas, poking at his food with a plastic fork. Will was sat next to Dustin and next to Will was Mike and then Jane. Jane was fiddling with Mike's hair, her bag was taking up the seat between her and Max.

"So, what are we doing for Wills birthday then?" Max asked, lifting her head from her boyfriend's shoulder.
"My parents are out of town with Holly, we could have a party at my house?" Mike replied, turning to face Will.
"Yeah sure that sounds great." Will said.

Jane pulled out her phone and started typing.
"What are you doing?" Asked Dustin, putting down his fork.
"Texting people about the party." Jane replied, not looking up from her phone.
"Who are you inviting?" Said Lucas.
"The entire grade." Jane answered, looking over to will.
"What." Will started at Jane, eyes wide.
"Don't worry Will, it'll be fun!" Said Max, smiling at him.
"But I don't even know half the people in the grade," Will said, "Why would they want to come?"
"Alcohol." Said Mike bluntly. Will stared at him for a second.
"Yeah I guess." Will whispered, staring down at his tray.

This was going to be a disaster.

Authors note:
Low key a short chapter just allow it guys, it's kinda boring rn bc I'm working up to stuff just wait it's all planned out

please stick with me I swear it gets good