chapter twelve

Will

Will and Jane sat in the living room, it was 1:00 am and they had school tomorrow.

"So..." Will said, looking over at Jane. "Did you have fun tonight?"

Jane giggled, "yeah, why?"

"No reason, just wondering." Will said, standing up, "We should probably go to bed."

"Good idea." Jane smiled, standing up and walking up stairs towards her bedroom.

Will walked into his room and sighed.

He felt bad for Jane, he didn't want to confront her. He knew that what they'd done was wrong but everyone made stupid mistakes when they were drunk, and he knew more than anyone else what it was like to be queer in Hawkins, and how scary it could be.

He didn't want Jane and Max to have to come out to anyone if they weren't ready but Lucas was one of his closest friends and he couldn't let him get hurt like that.

He decided to talk to her after school tomorrow.

---

Will sat in English class, he was struggling to pay attention, his head was pounding and he felt nauseous.

"Will." Mike whispered next to him. Will looked over at the curly haired boy.

"What?" He whispered back.

"I need to talk to you, can we meet in the bathroom after lesson?"

"Yeah sure."

Will went back to his work, the words were spinning on the page.

About 10 minutes later the bell went, Will put his books in his bag and walked out of class towards the bathroom.

Mike was already waiting by the sink. There was no one else there.

"So Wheeler, what did you want to talk about?" Will asked, smiling at him.

"Did you talk to Jane?" Mike asked, standing up straight.

"Not yet, I'm planning on it though, I promise." Will said.

"You've got to do it soon, she kissed Max, that's a massive deal. We can't do this to Lucas." Mike said, stepping closer to Will.

"I know and it's horrible but she's my sister Mike, it's hard to just confront her about that type of thing." Will replied.

Just then, a stall opened and a boy with blonde curly hair stepped out.

"Jane Hopper and Max Mayfield kissed?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"For fucks sake." Mike turned around to face the mirror, leaning on the sink.

"Theo. Hi." Will said, forcing a smile.

Theo and Will stared at each other for a moment before Will continued, "Not Max Mayfield. A different Max, a guy from another school."

Theo laughed, "Then what does Lucas have to do with it?" He walked over to the sink and washed his hands.

"Lucas just doesn't like him very much." Will replied, quietly.

"Sure Will." Theo smirked and walked out of the bathroom.

"Shit." Mike said, turning back around to face Will.

"I know." Will replied, scratching the back of his neck.

"No Will this is really bad." Mike said, stepping closer.

"I know Mike." Will said, giving him a reassuring smile.

"What are we gonna do?" Mike asked, biting the inside of his cheek.