chapter eleven

Mike

Mike sat in his car outside the Byers household, waiting for Jane and Will.

Mike had been confused lately. He didn't know what had been going on. He just knew that Will had kissed him, and then he'd dreamt about Will and now whenever he looked at Will he felt something he could explain.

It scared him.

"Hey Mike!" He heard Will say as he opened the car door and sat next to him.

"Hi Will." Mike smiled at him.

"You guys excited?" Jane asked, slumping into the middle back seat.

"Very." Will replied sarcastically.

"It'll be fun!" Mike said, nudging Will. Will stared down at his lap, Mike could swear he saw his ears go pink.

---

The car pulled up to the side of the road outside the woods. Mike, Will and Jane got out of the car.

"Do you know where the others are?" Jane asked.

"They should be arriving soon, let's wait here for them." Mike said, sitting down in the grass.

Mike watched as people walked through the trees into the field behind the woods, he could see the light from the bonfire lighting up the sky.

"Jane!" Max shouted, running up to the girl and pulling her onto her feet. Lucas and Dustin were walking behind her.

"You look amazing!" Jane said, grinning at the red headed girl.

"So do you!" Max said, pulling her into the crowd of people walking through the trees.

Dustin sat down in between Mike and Will.

"Are you and Jane good then?" He asked, slinging an arm around Mike's shoulder.

"Yeah we're fine, it was a mutual decision." Mike replied, Lucas raised an eyebrow.

Dustin snorted, "Sure."

"Anyway, let's go." Lucas said, passing Mike a bottle of vodka.

The boys walked towards the field. The bonfire was massive, Mike could feel the heat radiating off it even from the other side of the field.

The sun was almost done setting, lighting the night a bright pink.

"Me and Lucas are gonna get closer to the bonfire." Dustin shouted over the music.

"Have fun." Mike shouted back.

Dustin and Lucas wandered off, disappearing into the crowd of people dancing.

Mike opened the bottle of vodka and took a swig.

"You alright?" Mike shouted at Will.

"What?" Will shouted back, a confused expression on his face.

Mike bent down slightly and put his lips next to Will's ear, "Are you ok?" He asked.

Will took a step back, "Yeah I'm fine." He said, his eyes wide.

Mike took another swig of vodka, "Come on then." He put his hand out, urging Will to take it.

Will stared at Mike's hand for a moment before taking it. Mike smiled at him and pulled him into the crowd.

Mike turned around, not letting go of Will's hand, he grinned down at the brunette boy in front of him.

They began to sway in time to the music.