chapter thirteen

Mike

"Micheal!" Mike heard his mum shout from downstairs.

"Yeah?" He shouted back.

"You're dad and I are going out, you're looking after Holly." She replied.

Mike groaned. Before he had the opportunity to respond he heard the front door shut and the lock click.

Mike picked up his phone and called Will.

"Hello?" He heard the boy say over the phone. Mike felt his heart flutter at the sound of his voice.

"Have you talked to her?" He asked.

"Yes I talked to her." Will sighed.

"What did she say?" Mike asked.

"She'll talk to Max, she's just going through some stuff right now." Will replied.

"What could she possibly be going through that would make her do that?" Mike demanded.

"What do you think Mike? She's obviously got something going on with her, um, feelings, Max is the one that cheated anyway so why do you care?" Will raised his voice slightly.

"Because she should have known better." Mike said.

"Max should've too, but obviously neither of them did." Will replied.

There was a moment of silence, Mike could hear Will's heavy breathing over the phone.

"Yeah I guess." Mike said quietly.

"Mike I promise it'll all get sorted out, don't worry about it, it's really none of our business anyway." Will said softly.

Mike didn't say anything.

"See you tomorrow Mike." Will said, hanging up the phone.

Mike sighed and threw his phone onto his bed.

"Mike!" Holly appeared at his door.

"What's up Holly?" Mike asked, smiling down at his little sister.

"Can you make me a grilled cheese?" Holly gave Mike a big grin, she had multiple teeth missing.

Mike laughed, "Yeah sure."

---

"Michael, get up!" Karen shouted, walking into Mike's room. "Joyce called, you need to pick up Will and Jane their car broke down last night."

Mike groaned.

"Micheal I swear to god if you're late you will never see the light of day again!" She said, pulling Mike's covers off of him.

"Fine." Mike mumbled, sitting up.

He got out of bed and got dressed. Then he walked to the bathroom and cleaned his teeth.

He walked downstairs and saw Holly sat at the dining table, her mouth was covered in maple syrup.

"Holly sweetheart, you're a mess." Karen said, wiping Holly's face with a wet wipe. Holly pushed her hand away, trying to resist.

Mike put a pop tart in the toaster and sat at the table whilst he waited for it to pop.

"Michael remember to clean your room tonight, it's a mess." Karen said, still cleaning Holly's face.

The toaster popped and Mike went to grab the pop tart, "Yeah okay." He said, taking a bite.

He finished it quickly and went to grab his bag.

"You're picking up.." Karen started.

"Will and Jane I know." Mike called, opening the door and stepping out. He walked towards his car and got in.

He turned on the radio and drove to Will's house.

He sat outside the house in the car for a while. Tapping the steering wheel in time to the music.

The passenger side door opened and Will sat down next to Mike.

"Hi." Will said quietly.

"Hey." Mike replied.

"Hey Wheeler." Jane said, ruffling Mike's hair and she sat down behind him.

"Cut it out." Mike said, batting her hand away.

"What's wrong? Am I messing up your hair?" She asked, giggling.

"Yeah you are actually." Mike laughed.

Mike looked over at Will. Will just sat, staring at his lap.

Mike sighed and drove off, he turned the radio up.

Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

Will lifted his head and looked at Mike.

"I love this song." He said softly.

"Yeah I know." Mike smiled.

--

Mike sat in the cafeteria at their normal lunch table. Max sat opposite him, her head rested on Lucas' shoulder.

He didn't know how she could just do that, kiss someone else and then just go back to normal.

But he'd done just that.

He had been drunk though.

So was she. A voice said in his head.

But him and Jane weren't together anymore.

You were together. You didn't tell her.

But what was there to tell? Will had kissed him. You kissed back. They were both very drunk. It hadn't meant anything.

Mike wasn't gay. Will wasn't gay. It was just a stupid meaningless thing.

That's what Max said too.

Mike tried to shake the thoughts from his head. He didn't know what was going on with Max and Jane but from what Will had said there seemed to be actual feelings there. At least on Jane's side.

There were no feelings with him and Will.

Keep telling yourself that.

Mike groaned.

Will looked over at him.

"Are you okay?" He asked, tilting his head slightly.

Mike forced a smile, "Yeah I'm fine."

Will raised and eyebrow but turned back to the group.

Mike sat in silence, thoughts swirling around his head.

What was wrong with him? Why couldn't he get those thoughts out of his head?

Authors note:

Has anyone read the 300 page evidence as to why byler is real and is definitely going to be endgame bc I have!