chapter seven

Mike

Mike sat on the floor of Jane's bedroom, his head tipped back, looking up at the ceiling.

Will was sat next to him, fiddling with a piece of yellow string.

Lucas and Dustin were arguing about something, Mike wasn't paying attention to what.

Max and Jane were sat on Jane's bed, whispering and giggling.

"We should watch a movie." Max suddenly blurted out. Jane snorted.

Lucas and Dustin stopped their bickering and turned to face the bed.

"What movie?" Lucas asked

"We'll figure it out when we're downstairs." Jane said, jumping up and darting out of the door. Max followed close behind.

Lucas and Dustin looked at each other for a moment before running after them.

Mike sat there. Still staring at the ceiling. Will sat next to him, not uttering a word.

It was nice.

They sat like that for a few minutes. Mike could hear laughing downstairs. Part of him wanted to join them, but another part wanted to stay with Will.

Mike looked over at Will, the brunette boy was blinking slowly, straining to keep his eyes open. Mike smiled and looked back up at the ceiling.

A few minutes later, Mike felt Will's head flop onto his shoulder.

He stared forward, there was a candle burning on Jane's desk.

He could hear music softly start to play downstairs.

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head

Mike sighed and lay his head on top of Will's, closing his eyes.

Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her Roman nose
And her Walkman started to melt

---

Mike woke up to a dark room, lit only by the candle still burning on Jane's desk. Will was no longer sat next to him. He rubbed his eyes and stood up.

He walked over to Jane's desk, he blew out the candle and walked out of the room. He walked around the corner, towards Will's room.

The door was hanging open slightly, Mike pushed it and walked in.

Will was laying on his bed, eyes closed, breathing softly.

Mike walked over, looking down at the boy in front of him.

Will's hair was covering his eyes. Mike reached over and brushed the sleeping boy's hair aside, tucking it behind his ear.

Mike let his hand linger over Will's face, he could feel his warm breath on his hand.

He pursed his lips and swallowed.

Will began to stir and Mike grabbed his hand pack, letting it fall down to his side.

Mike rushed out of the room, his breath quickening.

What was that?

Everything had been confusing Mike. Not just the kiss but every moment after it. Every brush of the shoulder, every smile and laugh, every little glance.

Mike didn't know what he was feeling but he knew it was different.

He needed to get some fresh air.

He walked down the stairs, taking deep breaths.

He walked past the living room towards the back door.

"Mike!" He heard someone call. He kept walking.

He opened the back door and stepped out into the dewy grass. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes.

"Mike." He heard a whisper behind him.

He sighed and turned around.

Jane was stood there, lit up by the lights from inside the house.

"Are you ok?" She asked, smiling her kind smile.

Mike looked down at her, he needed something to take his mind off Will.

Mike cupped her face, he lent down and kissed her. She kissed back, softly. All Mike could think of was his drunken kiss with Will.

He deepened the kiss, hoping to feel something more.

He wrapped his arms around Jane's body, pulling her in closer. She pushed him away.

"You never want to talk anymore." She said. She turned around and walked back into the house.

Fuck.

---

Jane

What was his problem?

Mike had seemed so off lately. He didn't want to talk about anything. He hardly even wanted to be around Jane anymore.

She walked up to her room, everyone had already gone home but she hadn't wanted to wake Mike.

She was breathing heavily, her chest heaving. She looked over to the candle on her desk, she struck a match and lit it, letting it light up the corner of her room.

The flame licked the air wildly, she stared at it for a moment, her hands balled up into fists.

She grabbed her headphones, connected them to her phone and shoved them into her ears. Turning the volume all the way up, she hit play.

I'm not the man you think I am
And sorrows native son
He will not smile for anyone
And pretty girls make graves

She sunk onto the floor and stared forward, letting the music consume her.

Authors note:

rlly short chapter but we move