˚₊‧꒰ა CHAPTER 20 ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

[3rd Person/George]

~21 January 1931, Saturday~

T.W.: Some form of panic attack/a very small autistic meltdown (I am very sorry if I get anything wrong, please correct me if I make any mistakes about a meltdown)

˚₊‧ ꒰ა ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

It's early in the morning, the sun shining through the windows, the curtains already drawn back. The colourful light gives the room an orange hue. George pulls the blanket over his head, the light blinding him. He groans, waking up and squinting his eyes. His body aches from the weird position he's been lying in. He looks around for a while, trying to figure out where he's been sleeping for the past few hours. He doesn't recognise where the hell he is. His eyes adjust to the bright light, and he realises that he's in James' dorm. What am I doing here? He asks himself, thinking about the night before. Then it all rushed back to him. They worked on the project until past twelve, and he had to stay the night. His eyes finally settle on the owner of the room: James. He's sitting in a chair to his left, reading a book.

"Why are you wearing a sweater? It's like five hundred degrees in here," George says, sitting up. "Don't know, don't care," James shrugs, sitting crisscross and leaning back in his chair. "What ya readin'?" George asks, eyeing the book. James doesn't reply at first but just stares at him. "What?" George snaps, glaring at James. "Nothing," He shrugs again, but they both know it's not nothing. "So, then what's the book about?" George tries to get an answer out of James but, to no avail. "Nothing," James replies, just like a few seconds ago. "So you're reading blank pages?" He sighs, done with the conversation. James doesn't reply, still reading the apparent blank paged book. "I'm just trying to be nice," George grumbles, turning around and getting up from the couch. Pulling the blanket away, he shivers from the change of temperature. He stands up and walks over to the small kitchen. Standing on his toes, he reaches up to grab a glass of water. Turning on the tap and filling the glass, he downs the whole thing in one go. Setting the glass in the sink, he walks to the table, grabbing his papers and pencils. He puts on his red Converse, tying the laces and double knotting them. He looks up and notices that James is looking at him, again.

"I should go," George says, pointing to the door behind him. James nods before going back to his book. Opening the door and rushing outside, his face turns red ever so slightly. The way James was looking at him just had a feeling to it, and he's not entirely sure yet if he likes it. He's never felt like this before, and he has no idea what it is.

Walking through the Hallways, he tries to forget what happened. Not that that's possible, the entire interaction is ebbed into his brain. Just like all the other ones. From the first time they met, until now. When they first met, he liked him, not in a relationship way –hopefully-, but then James turned cold and silent, and he was left clueless. He retorted the same expressions, not giving him any satisfaction in showing how much it had actually affected him. That all changed when James started to fucking flirt with him. It was all for fun and games, and he participated in them too. Not that he was any good at flirting. He had never wanted to flirt with a girl, and he'd be dead before he could even think of flirting with a boy. But at BWA, away from all the prying eyes of humans, everything was possible. The stories he heard eventually got so wild, that he started to suspect that the academy turned a blind eye to all the things going on.

Opening the door of his dorm, he's met with three worried faces. "Everything okay?" George asks them and they all look up. Relief floods into their eyes and Henry rushes over. "You can't stay away for a night and not tell me!" Henry shakes his shoulders. "But you do it all the time?" It is true, that at least twice a week he's left alone, as Henry is sleeping at Jack's. "But you know where I am! I don't know where you are!" Henry rushes out, still holding his shoulders. "I was at James'" He softly says, feeling guilty as to not telling Henry where he went. Nate and Jack stand behind Henry, happy that George is back. "What?" Henry says, shocked that he's still alive and here, not murdered or in prison. "We worked on the project, and it was way past curfew, so I had to stay," He tells them. "Oh," Henry says, letting him go.