30. 만남

Doing a shift with the person sharing mutual love is exactly as blissful as it sounds. Each day after uni, after Junkyu finishes tutoring Junghwan, him and Jihoon go to the cafe, hand in hand. They share knowing glances all throughout their shifts, flirt a bit too often when they get the chance- mostly Jihoon who enjoys watching a blushing Junkyu. And then, occasionally, they'd both walk to the changing room, change some brief kisses and leave with flushed cheeks and wide smiles. Maybe their fellow waiters had caught up, maybe they were also gushing over two handsome men in love as we are. But let's say, working together gave Junkyu all the butterflies he needed.

An evening as such, when they both had yet to serve customers because that wasn't the peak hour yet, the two of them were standing near the counter, waiting for a new table to get occupied. Jihoon was whispering pickup lines in Junkyu's ears, letting their shoulders brush against each other. The younger was looking down, smiling shyly.

"You know, Kyu? Your body is 70% water," Jihoon whispered, "And I'm thirsty." The line itself was cringe, and Jihoon said it in such a tone that Junkyu couldn't help chuckling at how lame it sounded.

"Yah, don't you have anything better to do?" The younger male whispered back.

"Yes." Jihoon readily replied, "You."

"What the fuck, Ji!?" Junkyu lightly slapped him, however, blushing furiously, remembering those times his 'friend' turned that into reality. They were so occupied in their own world that a bell ringing literally made them jump lightly. Jihoon looked at the entrance and saw three middle aged women walking through.

"Are you gonna take that table or should I go?" Jihoon nudged Junkyu, still looking at the women who took a faraway table. Hearing no response, he looked back at the other, and worries took over him. Junkyu's face was frozen as it was, grasped with fear and he looked pale all of a sudden.

"Junkyu??" He called, frowning. Junkyu's lips trembled once, then he turned around and marched towards the changing room like that's the goal of his life. Confused, Jihoon stood there for a second, and then followed the other.

He discovered Junkyu on the floor, hiding his head in the knees. Careful, Jihoon sat down, put a hand on those knees and softly called his name again and again. He felt the younger's body tremble. Was he crying??

"Baby, what's wrong?" He urged, trying to lift that head up. Eventually, Junkyu did look up. No he wasn't crying, just shaking from fear, or maybe- resentment? His face was still pale, and his lips were quivering more than ever. "Hey, talk to me." Jihoon hugge his head, patting it to comfort him. It seemed to work, because soon, Junkyu began to talk.

"She is my.." Junkyu struggled, but managed to say, "..mother."

Jihoon let go of the hug. His eyes were as wide as possible. Everything made sense to him. That's right. Junkyu's family. His mother. The one who didn't hesitate to kick him out knowing he's gay. The one who couldn't accpet her own son over the shitty rules of the society. Jihoon felt a rush of rage in his veins. But also, incredibly sympathetic for the poor boy.

"Ji, can you call me when she leaves?" Junkyu pleaded, "I don't wanna face her."

"Yeah." Nodded the elder, "I'll stay with you and-"

"Don't." Added the younger, "Please."

Jihoon looked at him, carefully, from one eye to another. Maybe the other wanted time for himself. He wanted to be alone. So, Jihoon nodded, slowly standing up and going back to the counter. His eyes found the table, and all he could see was the way those women were smiling at each other.

They didn't deserve it. After putting her own son through shit, no one deserves to smile like there's nothing wrong. So, he took a board and walked straight towards that table, pretending to take their order which they were still deciding on. With every roll of laughter from them, Jihoon's grip on the board tightened. How fucking twisted!