44

DCBS: Chapter 44

Facing these words full of danger, Ye Lanting’s fingers tightened and a trance-like emotion shook his nerves.

You have been investigating my son…

She disassembled these words a bit slowly, trying to pierce together the meaning behind them.

Was it that child?

“Sorry, I don’t understand what you are talking about.”

Ye Lanting tried his best to maintain a calm tone even though waves of shock had already been set off in her heart.

It wasn’t her husband’s illegitimate child?

She clearly saw her husband’s appearance from the child’s eyes and eyebrows…

“Really?” The man on the phone laughed a bit regretfully. “You changed private investigators three times. It is a pity they all failed. I admire the first one the most. Do you know why?”

Ye Lanting was stunned when she heard this. She didn’t dare to answer the question and could only make her breathing less rapid.

“It is because my son said he likes the peaked cap he wears very much.”

There was a hint of pampering in the man’s voice before it soon turned to complete coldness.

“He also knows when to stop and quit.”

Ye Lanting gradually froze.

The first private investigator found her a photo of the little boy eating bread, but he never found any biological materials that could be used to extract DNA. He always felt that there was a hint of strangeness in this seemingly ordinary case and he took the initiative to propose to Ye Lanting to quit. She had been furious at the time.

It wasn’t until this moment that Ye Lanting realized all the secret investigations she had been doing had been watched by others all along.

She couldn’t argue any longer. After hesitating for a moment, she said softly, “I’m sorry, I think this was a misunderstanding. I must’ve found the wrong person…”

Before she finished speaking, a child’s voice faintly came from the other end of the phone.

“Dad, have you finished the phone call yet?” The child’s voice was acting spoiled. “I want to see Brother playing basketball. Training is about to begin.”

Ye Lanting immediately realized who this child was and also guessed the identity of the brother in his mouth. She listened with bated breath.

Then she heard the man’s voice become slightly distant as he replied in a completely different, soft tone. “Okay.”

“I want you to stay away from them.” Once he faced her again, the man’s voice was tinged with slight impatience. “Do you hear clearly? Them.”

It wasn’t only this child with a mysterious background but Pei Qingyuan beside him.

Ye Yanting wanted to try and refute it. It was obviously a child who had been with her for over ten years. What qualifications did an unknown outsider have to ask her to stay away from Pei Qingyuan?

The man’s next words completely dispelled these thoughts.

“You are very similar to Pei Minghong. You both like to do dangerous things.” There was a sigh of pity in the cold voice. “After cashing out the pledged equity and investing it, the market value is getting better and better but the leverage is getting bigger and bigger… doesn’t it feel like walking a tightrope?”