Chapter Twenty Three

Dom figured that Rebel would keep arguing like a two year old and pouting but he surprised him by sitting his too delectable and odd self down in one of the uncomfortable designer looking kitchen chairs.

Rebel lifted up a fork and took a single tentative bite of the eggs. After he chewed for what was an eternity - Luther would love him - he finally swallowed. Then he smiled fully , saying," Is that garlic I taste? "

" I'll never tell. Or else Luther will have to take you out. "

Then he joined Rebel at the table and they ate in silence except for Rebel's occasional hums of delight. He really seemed to enjoy it which pleased Dom. He liked eating with Rebel. Usually he ate on the go while working or at his family's Harlem home on Sundays but there was a difference between grabbing peanuts from a vending machine and fighting his family for seconds and this. This , he thought as he glanced from the sports section of the newspaper over to Rebel who was actually starting to shovel food into his mouth, was nice. And , he mused with closer look, was that mouth wearing lip gloss?

" So , Rock God, it's Saturday. "

Rebel didn't answer because his mouth was full of pancakes.

Dom smiled.

" Any plans I should be aware of? Are we brunching with the Pope today? Or Oprah to discuss healthy brands of dog food? "

Rebel swallowed and gave him a peeved look. " Don't be ridiculous. I saw O three weeks ago. I think. Maybe five. She's looking good. No. I'm relaxing today at home. It's been a busy tour. I know this might sound silly but I do need down time to rest after tours. After a tour Bailey never schedules anything for at least a few days. Monday I need to go into the studio though. To work on the latest recording. That night I think I'm on Jimmy Fallon. Oh my God I almost forgot. That awful Daisy Fate is coming by tomorrow! "

Dom wrinkled his forehead. " Who ? "

Rebel rolled his eyes. " Only the biggest baddest fattest meanest woman to hit the New York gossip scene since forever. She writes In The Know which everyone reads. "

" I don't read it. "

" Why am I not surprised? Anyway. Bailey insists I let her interview me every so often otherwise she makes up the most hideous lies on me. "

Dom took a long sip of black coffee. " Like the one about you getting Miley Cyrus pregnant? "

" Yes ," Rebel sniffed," like that one. "

" Did you? "

" No ! I did not! "

Dom laughed at the look of pure annoyance on his face. Rebel promptly stuck out his pancake encrusted tongue at him. Rebel put down the fork and leaned back in his chair to pat what has to be the flattest stomach in the world.

" I'm sorry, Dom. "

" For what? Enjoying my food? You bastard ! "

" No. For last night. "

" It's ok. "

" No. It's not ok. I hit you. I'm sorry. "

" You were having a nightmare. "

" Yes. I do that at times. I hate sleeping. "

" Rebel, who is Jed ? "

The man literally paled to the color of his bland vanilla kitchen walls and began to shake. Dom stood and reached for him. " Rebel? "

Rebel stood up and backed away as though he had seen a ghost. Or heard one.

" Nobody. Jed is nobody. "

Then he fled from the kitchen as fast as his feet would go.

Rafe looked up at Dom accusingly.

Dom said," Don't look at me. I didn't do it. I think. "