Chapter Forty Seven

Dom had never really been a Rebel fan and never had Eric Fletcher. Yet they were both rethinking that for different reasons as they stood on the other side of the recording booth with Bailey Mullins listening to the most incredible sound.

Rebel in a crisp white tee shirt and blue jeans crooning expertly and heartbreakingly on a song that Bailey mentioned he had written last summer.

" It's a change for him ," Bailey said. " A risky change. "

And when Reese joined in all their mouths dropped open. Their voices seemed to join together like they were made for each other.

Rebel was completely into the song and the music. His eyes were closed. The intense look on his face as he sung of lost love and betrayal and lost opportunities made Dom hurt for him. He wondered what had made Rebel write the song.

Reese has fallen right into it as well. He'd only had a brief look at the lyrics and it was like it was completely natural. Eric was happy as hell to see his fiance so happy and Dom was equally glad to see his friends happy. They deserved it after all they'd been through.

" Amazing," Dom said. His eyes were glued to Rebel's expressive beautiful face.

" Go on , Doc ," Eric said proudly.

" Excellent," Bailey pronounced. They reached the song's climax that literally shook the rafters of the tiny studio. He leaned forward in his chair and pressed a button on the console before him.

" Excellent! Your two biggest fans out here are already in tears ," Bailey said.

Eric laughed.

Dom glared at the manager while trying to hide the tear he wiped from his eye.

Reese was flushed red as he grinned with excitement.

Rebel said cockily," So need to change your pants yet , Bail ?"

Bailey ignored that. " Dr. Malden, you have the voice of an angel. You even make him sound like a rank amateur. "

Rebel slapped the stunned doctor on the back playfully, saying," That's high praise from him. He only called me a nightingale when he discovered me. "

" Can you do it again," Bailey continued on ," in a couple days? With Rebel and a full recording crew ? Only I detected a slight nervy quality in your voice, Dr. Malden. Get rid of it. You will be a star on the level of Rebel himself. Under the right management. "

Bailey then sat back with steepled fingers and a cool smile as both sides of the window fell into silence.

Rebel said wryly," Do it, Reese. You made me love this shit again. And Bailey's a pain in the ass but he's a good manager. He makes miracles happen. After all look at me. "