𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔩𝔦𝔷𝔞𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫

In the dim candlelight of the tent, Katara leaned over the table to inspect Aang's forearm, which was laying on the table, palm-side up. After their fight in the crystal catacombs, most of their group sustained minor injuries, but a piece of shrapnel had lodged itself in Aang's arm.

In the moment, he hadn't worried about the injury until they were back at camp. Katara noticed the dried blood trickling down his arm. She had worried that the wound might've been infected, and after her persistence, Aang reluctantly let him heal her, while the others set up camp.

"This might hurt," Katara said, placing one hand on the area around his wound to steady his arm, her other with a pair of tweezers. The barest of physical contact between them was enough to distract him from the pain. 

"I can handle it."

She didn't say anything, just wincing as he felt the shard pulled out, only to be replaced by a stab of pain. 

Katara pulled water out of her pouch, allowing the cool water to envelope her hands as her hands hovered over Aang's injury. He instantly felt a cool, relaxing relief, and the avatar leaned back in the wooden chair, watching the waterbender work her magic.

After a few moments, his arm glowed as Katara pulled the water away and back into her pouch.

"There you go, Mr. Avatar. Good as new," she looked up at him with a soft smile, meeting his indiscernible expression.

When she got up from her seat, brushing past him to offer him some privacy, Katara felt his fingers grazing her hand before holding it.

"I think we're beyond formalities, princess," he said. Slowly, she tilted her head to the side, her eyes sparkling when she met his.

"Alright, Aang," she agreed, and he grinned, still holding her hand.

Again, the princess turned away, ready to leave, but his hold on her hand prevented her.

"Oh and Katara?" he asked, his eyes still focused on her.

"Hmm?"

"Thank you," he said, brushing his thumb across the back of her hand.

Her eyes flickered between his gray ones to their connected hands, her heart skipping a beat.

There was a rustle at the entrance of the tent as Zuko walked inside, pausing at the entrance once he saw them. His eyes paused a moment too long at their connected hands before he busied himself on his side of the tent, rustling through his bags.

Katara quickly dropped his hand, Aang clearing his throat a little too loudly.

"Are you both ready for the meeting?" Zuko asked, his eyes still focused on his bag.

"Yes," Katara said, taking her seat again at the table. It looks like she had lost track of time, they were supposed to start their debrief meeting any moment now. Silence fell upon the group as they each filed inside Zuko and Aang's tent, taking their respective seats at the table.

When Katara was just with Aang, it was easy for her to forget about the worries of the world. Between them, there were no lofty titles and royal status. It was just two adults trying to make their way in the world.

Zuko seemed to have finally found the things that he was rummaging in his bag for, and he dropped several maps and documents that they had acquired in the last few weeks about Ba Sing Se's history and the Dai Li. They were unsuccessful in digging up any information on the latter; but their recent mission in the crystal catacombs had proven to be fruitful.

"We can officially confirm that the Earth king isn't in the Crystal Catacombs," Sokka started, staring at a newspaper clipping of the King from six months ago. That was the last time he was mentioned in the paper.