32

"HE SURE WENT OVERBOARD." Faye complained but even so, the smile on her face couldn't deny that she loved the gift. Sting looked at it with a masked expression, holding the mug in his hand close to his face as she pulled up the item. It was a long, loose flowing dress that seemed to embody a dove.

All of the seams were nearly invisible and the beaded pearls that trickled down like a waterfall were all just the cherry on top.

"Maybe he does dote on me a little." The woman had a light blush on her cheeks out of joy from receiving the present in the mail. There wasn't any special occasion, just a sentimental thought.

Sting stood there quietly. He wasn't angry per se .. but the feeling that hung onto him tightly felt more like annoyance. Annoyed that he didn't think of something like that first—annoyed that her bright and brilliant smile wasn't caused by him. But at the same time he couldn't help but smile as well because of how contagious she was.

"Faye, let's go on a date."

The woman paused, turning around with a raised brow. "Huh?"

The man's eyebrow twitched. "You don't have to sound so surprised.."

It was in that moment that she bursted out into laughter, hunching over clutching her stomach as tears welted up in her eyes.

The expression on Sting's face .. it was one of embarrassment and annoyance. It was like that of when he was merely a child and it caused her to recall the memories they had at the time. "You're a sweetheart." Faye chuckled, standing up as she sauntered over and ran her hands through his hair.

"Since it's you asking .. I guess it won't hurt. Give me a little to get ready." The woman pressed a kiss against his cheek before running up the stairs, leaving him dumbfounded that he had just unintentionally folded for her once more.

"Crap." Sting covered his face and the tint of his red ears. Even after so much time she still had the same effect on him no matter what.

But for some reason, the man didn't hate it. Not one bit.

Even if she was such a heartless and crude woman who lived a split life as a kind and gentle soul, someone who never said those three words he'd been waiting to hear for over ten years now, someone who always accepted things without fighting unless it came to those that she cherished ..

Sting also wanted to be cherished like the members of Fairy Tail did. Although he was sure she cared about him in a different way .. it always felt like her grip on him was loose and tight, swaying between the two, never consistent, never assured that she'd stay by him.

Sting loved Faye, endlessly. As endless as the human eye peering across the never ending dunes of sand that seemed to continuously deposit and spread. As endless as the vast cerulean blue sky. As endless as the daunting horizon.

After some self reflection .. Sting had also decided to begin getting ready. His casual clothes likely couldn't match the dress. He wasn't an avid enjoyer of dressing up everyday like a particular someone, merely being satisfied with his peculiar outfits that were few in numbers.

Although he was sure something semi-formal would be satisfactory enough for her. Something like a white button down and some nice dress pants and a belt.

Not only that .. but his earring as well.

Frankly, the man hadn't thought their date through all the way. It was something he merely blurted out within the combustion of his thoughts in the moment. "I've been wondering .. where did you even get this dangerous habit from?"

In his grasp was the world's most precious hand. Her hand that seemed to be free of any callouses and hard skin. Although if someone looked carefully enough, there were some minor scars that blended in. It was very much the opposite of his own.