3. A blessing and a curse

In the morning, I woke up underneath something. It took a while, till I realized its Elias holding me against him, his skull against my head nuzzling it. I tried to get out of his grip, only for him to tighten it. Chise helped me, once she found me behind his body, whining "help meee."

She got me out, since he wanted to sleep a while longer, even though it already three PM. We stayed downstairs checking on the guests arriving, handing out the orders. Silky made us some cupcakes and tea in the meantime. Later on, we took care of the garden and feed the wooly bugs, till it's around five. Elias was coming down, as we entered the house "Hello Elias" we said at the same time. He greeted us back, as he stares at me. "Elias? Is there something on my face?" I asked him, feeling uncomfortable at his gaze. "No, it's nothing. Why don't you two go to the kitchen, I catch up with you" with that, he went upstairs. We sat at the table getting our dinner from Silky "Delicious as usual Silver" I said, winking at her. I received a bone-crushing hug from her in the process "you are welcome" I coughed out.

Minutes later, Elias appeared with a book, going to the living room before coming to dinner. "What is that book for?" I asked; curiosity got the best of me. "It's about them" he pointed at my wrist, the color of the tattoos have turned dark brown by then. "I tell you all about it, after dinner" he said, eating his meal. I was about to protest, as Silky stood before me glaring "Okay...after dinner then" I said at Elias, eating too.

Later that night:

We sat on the couch, waiting for Elias to begin. He opened the book and showed me the picture on one page "These are special signs. It's a blessing and a curse, hand down by gods. Each line represents a skill. You said you couldn't see all of the creatures around you, I assume the first skill, is sight. "And the other two?" I asked. "I don't know yet, we have to wait and see" he said, leaning back "Your wound was life threatening and yet, it was healing just fine. In the book it says, those gods, who will pass away soon, leave a gift to those in need. It must have a strong and a good heart."

Next was Chise speaking up "Can you remember what happened once we were gone?" I thought back, remembering something "A woman, with dark hair, a round belly and soft hands" I said lost in thought. Chise and Elias looked at each other. Ruth looked at me "Did she ride on something?" "Hm?...eh...yes, on something weird, either a horse or human...I don't really know what it was."

"Isn't that..." the black dog moved his head to the others, Chise and Elias both nodded. Elias looked at me again "You been blessed by the goddess of winter and death, she is pregnant and will die soon." Why would a goddess bless me? "Wait, you said it's a blessing AND an curse" realizing this. He nodded again "Yes that's what I said. As a human, you can't control the powers of a god with your frail body; it can kill you if you aren't careful." Chise was surprised and stood up in shock "But Elias doesn't that mean..." "Yes..." he interrupted "...she has the same problem like you, although the way you produce magic is different." He stood up too closing the book "Which leaves us to the question on what we should do with you? " I didn't get it "What do you mean? I go back home." He shook his head "You might get into trouble and when you're injured, no human can help you." I looked towards the window "What do you suggest I should do?" He breathed in deeply "For the time being you stay with us, till we find a suitable mage for you to become 'an apprentice'."

"A...mage?" I asked, I never heard of such a thing before. Elias took his time to tell me all about it, including the fairies and other stuff I wanted to know. "If you want to know more, I got enough books about it" he said crossing his legs. "Yeah, books...books?... boo...oh damn." I completely forgot. "I can't stay; someone is waiting for me in the village. She must be worried sick." I looked around and checked my pockets "Where is my phone?" I said worried. "You had no phone on you" said Elias, a little surprised at my outburst. "And my bag?" "Not that either" he said casually. I took my coat and was read to run out, till Elias grabbed me "Where do you think you are going tonight?" "I need to tell her I am fine. Please let me go" I whined, trying to get off him. Chise took her own green coat and looked up at Elias "We should inform her friend. She might come after her or she could be the forest looking for her already." The skull head agreed getting his own coat "Okay, lets go."