17. Roses and memories

The winter passed quickly.

Spring was on his way. Chise received an invitation to go to the college for mages and magicians. Elias was against it at first, but since they discussed it with each other, he accepted. On the day of the first spring, they will have to go through the forest. Not a wise idea, since this was the day of the gods. If they had bad luck, they might cross paths. Chise was about to pack her bags, as Silky came inot her room.

"What is it Silky?"

She handed her something, which was important to them. Chise was a little shocked, since she forgot all about it. She thanked the banshee and headed straight ot Elias study. "Elias we cant go just yet!" the mage looked up from his book, "What do you mean?" She gave him the paper. He nodded fast, telling her to collect the things needed from my grave. For Chise it was hard to take things away from me. To her it felt like she was stealing from me. She apologized for everything she had ripped out.

"What is the first step?" asked Elias impatient.

"Step one: take rose peddles and soak them in water. Later that day, you pour the water all over every plant. Make sure the dying plants are included."

"Next?" He asked, while Silky prepared the hot water and bowl.

"Second step: take roses and place them near the main door of the house. Use the most beautiful roses you can find. They will be gone tonight."

"And last?"

"Last step: the hardest part. Wait till the sun is over your house, in a straight line, burry roots of the rose bushes in your garden. They have to be placed where the sun can shine on them. Take the soil of a grave and spread it from the forest, all the way to the door of your house. Don't fail on this; otherwise it can lead nasty spirits to your home."

They had to hurry, as Elias had a talent to sleep till noon. Also her train leaves in a few hours, if it wasn't for Ruth and Silky, they wouldn't have finished it in time.

But then the big question remained...What is this tradition for????

Elias couldn't find it in any book and all the fairies kept quiet. All they could do it so see what happens. "Elias we have to go now. Thank you Silky, we will come back again. I promise you." Silky handed her a jacket, including a photo. Chise looked at the picture...tear began to fall from her face. It was one from us all. Elias had me in his arms, while Silky and Chise stood beside him and in the middle, Ruth in his human form. It was the only photo she had of me. Chise needed a minute before she could think straight again. Not even a few months healed her wounds...in her heart.

"I am sure she had wanted you to have this" assured Elias, holding the young mage.

Chise could only nod at that.