The illusion of guilt

Devansh sat on the edge of the bed, his gaze fixed on Adrika's sleeping form. The moonlight streamed through the window, casting a soft glow over her face. He reached out and gently brushed a strand of hair away from her forehead, his heart filled with both love and fear.

For weeks, Devansh had been struggling with his dark secret, afraid that it would drive Adrika away. His obsession with her had only grown stronger, his fear of losing her consuming him. But tonight, as he looked at her peaceful expression, he knew he couldn't keep hiding the truth.

Taking a deep breath, Devansh leaned in closer and whispered, "Adrika, wake up."

Adrika stirred, her eyes fluttering open. "Devansh, what's wrong?" she asked, her voice filled with concern.

"I need to tell you something," Devansh said, his voice trembling. "Something I should have told you a long time ago."

Adrika sat up, looking at him intently. "What is it?"

Devansh took another deep breath, his hands trembling in his lap. "I... I had a dream. A haunting dream about a woman named Maya."

Adrika's eyes widened in surprise. "A dream? About Maya? Is she the same woman whom we met today?"

Devansh looked down, his mind racing. "Yes" he wishphered "Maya was a woman from my past. I... I pushed her off a cliff."

Adrika gasped, her hand flying to her mouth in shock. "Devansh, how... how could you?"

Devansh hung his head, unable to meet her gaze. "I thought I could get away with it, but the guilt has haunted me ever since."

As Devansh spoke, a cold chill filled the room. Suddenly, a voice spoke from the shadows, "I have returned, Devansh."

Devansh and Adrika turned to see a figure standing in the doorway, bathed in moonlight and red all over as if someone poured a litre of red colour. It was Maya, the woman Devansh had dreamed he had pushed off the cliff.

"I have come back to haunt you, Devansh," Maya said, her voice filled with anger and sorrow. "You thought you could bury me and forget about me, but I will never let you rest."

Devansh trembled, his eyes wide with fear. Adrika reached out and took his hand, her expression filled with concern. "Devansh, what is happening? Who is she?"

Devansh swallowed hard, his heart pounding in his chest. "Adrika, this is Maya. The woman I thought I had pushed off the cliff."

Maya advanced towards them, her eyes burning with rage. "You will never be free, Devansh. I will haunt you for the rest of your days, just as you haunted me."

With that, Maya disappeared into the darkness, leaving Devansh and Adrika shaken and terrified.

As they sat in silence, Devansh realized the truth. It was all a dream, a manifestation of his guilt and fear. He had pushed Maya off the cliff in his dream, but in reality, she was alive and well.

Devansh turned to Adrika, tears streaming down his face. "I'm so sorry, Adrika. I had a dream that I had killed Maya, but it was just a dream. She's alive."

Adrika wrapped her arms around him, comforting him. "It's okay, Devansh. It was just a dream. Maya is alive, and you're not a murderer."

Devansh felt a weight of guilt on his heart. He may have blurted out the truth to adu but due to his fear of losing her, he made up a story of Maya being unharmed by him and it's just a dream.

Adrika believed it with her heart as she had immense faith on him. Not knowing that it's just the start of the storm that is yet to destroy their beautiful love story.

And so, as they held each other close, Devansh and Adrika knew that their love will overcome even the darkest of dreams. They believed that as long as they had each other, they could face any challenge that came their way.

Or so they thought!!

                     ִֶָ 𓂃˖˳·˖ ִֶָ ⋆★⋆  ִֶָ˖·˳˖𓂃 ִֶָ

So hey there guys, here's another chapter updated. Now there are a few things I want to tell y'll....

Firstly, I know I told in the previous chapter that I will add some mature contents in this one but the voting target is not completed and hence I omitted that part because I honestly don't know what you all want!!

Secondly, I have literally begged you all to comment your views and thoughts...what would you like to see next and all....but neither of you have commented a single thing.

24 chapters and not a single comment can you believe it!!?? It's really disappointing as an author honestly.

Now since you all don't comment I don't get what you all like as in like the scenes or mature contents or maybe anything.

Anyways what else can I do other than saying?

Untill next time 😘❤️