shattered illusions

Author's pov:

The moment adrika opened the door, her all the excitement flew away. She stood at the half opened door, absolutely numb for sometime as if her mind stopped working. The amount of emotions she felt was overwhelming for her.

There seated dev on his chair with a girl on his lap, hugging him and her head in the crook of his neck. Adrika couldn't believe her eyes that her dev could do this to her behind her back. Had she didn't come uninformed here today, she would have been oblivious to what was going on her back.

The fact that it has been more than 10 mins she was standing there and watching the scene unfold, but dev was not pushing her away, was infuriating her even more. Tears of betrayal and anger pricked her eyes and threatened to fall. However she was in no mood today to let dev see her weak and enjoy the state.

With long strides, she stood infront of them and pinning dev with her accusing glare. Dev's eyes widened in shock and his face grew visibly pale. The room was heavy with tension, but the girl on his lap made no movement rather stayed in that position with closed eyes. Adrika's gaze shifted from dev to that girl, upon seeing no response to push her away from dev's side, she couldn't control her anger any more.

Just as she extended her hand to grab her and push her away, dev caught her wrist, not in a harsh manner but firm enough to halt her actions. Adrika's eyes widened in surprise upon seeing his audacity.

After openly cheating on her, he had the audacity to counter her actions.

"Go home adrika, my driver will drive you and I will be there shortly", dev whispered in a low voice as if not wanting the girl on his lap to wake up. Adrika's jaw clenched and her eyes became red and teary on seeing his care for some other girl. Her insides burned in jealousy. Not able to react in such a position,she retreated her steps back and gradually left the cabin.

Once she was walking through the corridor, she couldn't help but feel numbness. What was the reason he cheated?

Adrika's pov:

As I was walking out of the office, my state was no less than a mad woman. Hairs dishevelled and eyes red, which caught a lot of attention for sure. But do i care? Hell i am not even feeling something.

Suddenly one of dev's man came running to me and said, "mam come with us we will drop you home". "And why would I do that? Do I look like I can't drive myself?" I asked. The man was surely taken aback by my response as they always saw me as the polite and friendly one, but right i couldn't care less about my behaviour.

"Mam actually, the boss said to securely drop you to his home", "his home?" I asked in surprise. This son of a bitch not only has the audacity to shoo me away from his office but to order me to stay at his place after everything that happened?

Ignoring his request i starightly asked him, "Do you know the girl in his cabin?"

"I am sorry mam but i shouldn't interfere in his personal space", he replied with tension in his voice. "I Am asking you so now tell me, what is her name and who is she to your boss?" I asked, on the verge of pulling mine or his hairs out.

Hesitating for a few moments, he finally let out, "mam the girl's name is lily and she is boss's ex girlfriend". As if a thousand volt electricity struck me, I stood there expressionlessly looking at the man. For sometime none of us spoke and the sound of wind was only audible.

Gathering all my courage I spoke, "you may go and tell your boss I am more than capable to drive myself and as for where i stay, he's not the one to decide". After that I turned my heels and went to my car. As the engine started, the noises of his men fading in the background and the cool breeze of the night hitting my face.

 As the engine started, the noises of his men fading in the background and the cool breeze of the night hitting my face

The calmness of the city, a sharp contrast to my inner turmoil and a constant reminder that I have been cheated upon. Tears dried on my face leaving stains on my cheek, but the physical ache in my chest still prominent. Not able to bear it anymore, I pulled my car on the side of the bridge and rested my head on the seat.

Unknowingly my gaze went towards the lake underneath the bridge. Its serene view was meant to give a sense of calmness instead it only increased loneliness inside me. I kept gazing outside until my insides felt a little peace. Realising that i am in a not-so safe place, i decided on heading back home.

Pulling the car in the garage of my building, I slowly stepped down from it and walked towards the elevator. My body, devoid of energy and mind numb from the previous incidents, made me look like an absolute zombie. Anybody can easily tell that i am hell tired and have been through a lot, it's literally that obvious from my appearance.

Retreating the keys from my bag, I unlocked the door only to be met by dark and silence. The only thought of spending the night alone and in the darkness devoid of dev's warmth, made my heart fall into the pit of my stomach. I know I shouldn't be thinking of him in this way, especially not when he shredded my heart into a million pieces without an ounce of guilt. But I couldn't stop thinking about him even for a fraction of a second.

Author's pov:

Lost in her own world, adrika failed to notice a figure sitting on the couch with open arms and one leg on another, glaring at her with a gaze as if a predator found it's prey. As soon as she locked the door, a loud gasp left her throat at the sound, "finally home dove?"

 As soon as she locked the door, a loud gasp left her throat at the sound, "finally home dove?"

🫧𓇼𓏲*ੈ✩‧₊˚🎐🫧𓇼𓏲*ੈ✩‧₊˚🎐🫧𓇼𓏲*ੈ✩‧₊˚🎐

What do you think dev will do now?

and what would be adrika's reaction upon seeing dev again?

Please vote and comment your feedbacks. It motivates me really.

If I am satisfied with the response, may update another chapter soon😉

Untill next time😘❤️