Chapter 8: The Big Time

Cara Dex:

"Breakfast meeting at 10 for Mrs. Encarnacions and Ms. Encarnacions," I read, stopping in the middle of the staircase. "Check. A meeting with the mayor for Mrs. Encarnacion is next. Meanwhile, for young Ms. Encarnacion, she had a morning photoshoot. I must remember telling the chef to prepare a quick lunch for her."

As I organize the Encarnacions' schedules, tapping relentlessly on the tablet in my hands, I hear screaming from the dining room.

"Mrs. Encarnacion," I yell, "Ms. Encarnacion!"

I tuck my tablet safety under my arm before running down the stairs and into the dining room. Practically breaking through the double wooden doors, I look around, and the first thing I see is the Encarnacions. Across from them are their guest, a father and his son I believe. Mrs. Encarnacions, Ms. Encarnacions, and the father all seem fine. However, for some strange reason, the son is dripping wet.

"Ovia Afternoon Encarnacion," Mrs. Encarnacion screams, her voice coming close to breaking the stained-glass window behind me.

"Thomas," the father shouts. He turns from his son to Mrs. Encarnacion and slams his fist onto the table, shaking the plates of cookies. "Mrs. Encarnacion! What is the meaning of this!"

"I do not know," Mrs. Encarnacion answers. She turns to her daughter. "I have no idea how my daughter would do something so rude!"

"Geez Mom," Ms. Encarnacions says amidst her coughs. "You don't have the slightest idea? You really don't?"

Ms. Encarnacion grabs a nearby napkin and wipes her mouth. I can't be too sure of what the situation is or what exactly led to it, but I take a quick breath and keep calm. Breathing through my nose, I walk to the soaking wet boy.

"Excuse me," I say, tapping the son's shoulder. "There's a bathroom on the second floor. Would you like to take a quick shower while your clothes are being washed?"

"Thank you," the young boy says with a smile. He gets up from the table and follows me to the bathroom. About to leave the dining room, the boy taps my shoulder and stops me.

"Please give me one minute," the boy asks. He turns to Ms. Encarnacion as she picks up her cup and plate.

"Uhh, don't worry too much about this," the boy whispers. "Honestly, hearing what my dad and your mother said also threw me for a loop. I probably would have done the same thing if I was sipping some tea."

"Thank you," Ms. Encarnacion replies with a nervous smile. "Still. I am really sorry about that."

Ms. Encarnacion waves at the boy as I guide him up the stairs and to the guest's bathroom.

"Hi. I'm Freddy, by the way. What's your name?"

"My name is Cara Dex. I'm Mrs. and Ms. Encarnacion's new live-in assistant."

"Live-in assistant," Freddy repeats. "Wow. There's a job I've never heard of before."

"Yes," I laugh. "I'll admit. The 'live-in' part also threw me for a loop but once I saw the daily schedule for both the Encarnacions, I easily understood why 'live-in'. Still, I did like my apartment."

Freddy smiles and nods his head.

"Here we are," I say, standing before the guest bathroom. "You can leave your clothes outside the door. I'll call one of the housekeepers to pick them up and have them washed."

"Thank you, Ms. Dex."

While Freddy takes his shower, I call for one of the housekeepers to collect and wash his clothes.