The End of the World Pt.2

[Maintenance duct]

"So, Jabe, why are you here? What are you doing here?" I asked her and she smiled at me.

"Respect for the Earth," she whispered to me. "Everyone on this bloody platform is worth zillions," I said, with a smile on my face.

"Well, perhaps it's a case of having to be seen at the right occasions," Jabe said, and we both stared at each other before The Doctor clears his voice, "In case your share prices drop? I know you a lot. You've got massive forests everywhere, roots everywhere, and there's always money in the land," He said, and I rolled my eyes.

"All the same, we respect the Earth as family. So many species evolved from that planet. Mankind is only one. I'm another. My ancestors were transplanted from the planet down below, and I'm a direct descendant of the tropical rainforest," Jabe said and wrapped her hand around mine.

"Excuse us," The Doctor, said grabbed my arm, and dragged me to a door panel marked Welcome to Platform One. Guide of Platform One Do You Need Assistance? A keypad labeled Maintenance log in, then Access denied.

"And what about your ancestry, Doctor? Perhaps you could tell a story or two. Perhaps a man only enjoys trouble when there's nothing else left. I scanned you earlier. The metal machine had trouble identifying your species. It refused to admit your existence. And even when it named you, I wouldn't believe it. But it was right. I know where you're from. Forgive me for intruding, but it's remarkable that you even exist. I just wanted to say how sorry I am," Jabe says and she
puts her hand on his arm, and the Doctor puts his hand over hers. A tear drops from his eye. I slowly bring my hand up and wipe it away. I take the sonic screwdriver and open the door.

[Engine room]

*It runs the whole depth of the Platform. The Doctor and Jabe are by a catwalk that runs through a series of large fans.*

"Is it hot in here?" I asked and The Doctor nodded, agreeing.

"Fair do's, though, that's a great bit of air conditioning. Sort of nice and old-fashioned. Bet they call it retro," The Doctor said, and he scanned a panel. "Gotcha," he said and I grinned. He pulls it off. A spider scuttles out and up the wall.

"What the hell's that?" The Doctor asked, looking at me. "Is it part of the retro?" Jabe asks. "Nope! Not one bit," I said, and The Doctor aimed his screwdriver at the spider, and then Jabe lassoed it.

"nice liana," I said, smiling at her. "Thank you. We're not supposed to show them in public," she told me. "I won't tell anyone. Don't worry. Now, who brought their pets on board, huh?" I asked aloud.

"What does it do?" Jabe asked, I shrugged and the Doctor answered. "Sabotage,"

"Earth Death in ten minutes," The computer announced. 

"And it seems like the temperature's about to rocket. Right, Doc?" I asked him.

"Earth Death in ten minutes," The computer announced.

[Outside the Steward's office]

*Smoke from the room is filling the corridor and the glare is coming through a small glass panel in the door. The little assistants have gathered.*

"Hold on. Get back," The Doctor said and sonics a small panel. "Sun filter rising. Sun filter rising," The computer announced. "Is the Steward in there?!" Jabe asked, and I nodded. "Yeah, love. You can smell him," I said, and the Doctor nodded. "There's another sun filter programmed to descend," He tells us and runs off.

[Observation gallery]

"The metal machine confirms. The spider devices have infiltrated the whole of Platform One," Jabe said, "How's that possible? Our private rooms are protected by a code wall. Moisturize me, moisturize me," Cassandra said, as her attendees sprayed her with the spray guns.