Chapter 20 - I'm Here Without You

Belly

We made love for the first time on land in several days, and it felt kind of funny without the constant motion of waves. I had gotten used to it by now. It didn't make it any less enjoyable though. After we had cleaned ourselves up and gotten ready for the night, we stepped out onto the street and waited for a Taxi to drive by. One thing about Key West was, there was always a taxi just around the corner. Taxi's, chickens, and polydactyl cats were a few things that were plentiful in Key West. There was a taxi at almost every street corner, people riding their bicycles down the street, and chickens. Chickens everywhere. I once saw a couple riding their bikes and the woman crashed trying to keep from running over a chicken that got in her path.

One interesting thing about the island is the polydactyl cats. They had six toes on each foot, which made their paws look really big, like lion paws or something. Did you know there's like a bazillion cats at Ernest Hemingway's house? They have  their own vet on site and everything. They just roam around this old house. No one lives there except them. When we toured the house we saw them pass by us to jump on the furniture, or curled up in a little donut shape on the bed. I think it all started with one polydactyl cat that Ernest Hemingway had. It was given to him by a Ship's captain, and it was pure white. He named her Snow White. They say all the cats there are descendants of that one cat, and that even most cats on the island could be related, because the island is so small.

Conrad hailed a taxi and summoned me back from my thoughts. "Sunset Key." Conrad told the cab driver. "Got it." He said. A few minutes later we pulled up at a Marina where people were boarding a really fancy dinner boat. Conrad paid the driver and got out of the taxi first and took my hand, leading me toward the boat where he gave the guy our name for the reservation. "Fisher."
"Ah, I see, 6:00, follow me Mr. And Mrs. Fisher." He sat us at a table on the boat, indoors with huge windows with an amazing view of the sea and sky. Tonight, I was wearing an ivory strappy shoulder crop top with an island floral print maxi skirt tied at the waist, and flat, strappy sandals, with gold earrings and my new gold infinity necklace.

My hair was pulled back in a low, loose and messy bun. Conrad was wearing a white linen button up shirt rolled up at the sleeves with slim fitting khaki shorts and his reef flip flops.  The temperature and humidity on the island was so high, breathable and flowy fabric was absolutely necessary. Our outfits made me feel like we were meant to be on the island, like we belonged to it somehow, but I'm sure we looked like just about every other tourist to the locals.  The waiter came to the table and took our drink and appetizer order. Conrad ordered a bottle of sauvignon blanc and calamari, he knew it was my favorite. When the waiter walked away, Conrad grabbed my hand across the table and said "You are stunning.  Your smile just lights up the whole room."
"I think that might be the 'golden hour' lighting, Conrad." I said, smiling shyly.
"The sunset is beautiful for sure, but you make it even better. You're radiant."

We had the best time sailing over to Sunset Key, sipping our drinks and enjoying the calamari. Once we got to Sunset Key, a small island off of Key West, we were swept into a restaurant that had outdoor seating by the water with twinkling lights, linens, china,  and candle centerpieces at every table. It was lovely. The most romantic place I had ever been. The atmosphere was one that you would see in a movie. I enjoyed a delicious seafood pasta and Conrad had the local special- fried grouper and a baked potato. It was divine. They also brought something called conch fritters to the table, which was a local delicacy. They were like fried hushpuppies, or fried balls of cornbread with conch mussels mixed in. I was too afraid to try it, but Conrad said they were actually pretty good.

After dinner, we danced on the outdoor dance floor to the live band. It was all like a dream. Growing up, I could see glimpses of this side of Conrad. I noticed everything he did for everyone, and I romanticized him, for sure. But this sweet  side of him had always been there. When he was in his late teens, that side of him had gone missing, until we were together and I saw it again for a little while. But ever since we had gotten back together for good, it had come back to stay. As we were dancing, my heart fluttered at the memory of the last time we danced together like this (other than our wedding).