Chapter 13

"Order up Jenny." I slide the tray down the counter to her. I take more orders and send them to the kitchen.

"I'm exhausted!"

"Your shift is almost over."

"Are you really OK Salem?"

"I'm fine Jenny." I rather not think about what happen.

"I'm here if you need to talk."

I give her a small smile and went back to work.

"Salem." I look up from the cash register and scowl.

"What do you want?"I didn't mean to sound so harsh to her but I can't find it in myself to see the rest any differently. He's their chief after all.

"Can we talk?"

"No."

"You ok Salem?"

"I'm fine Robert." He nod and sit back down. "Hold up Jala." I went to the back and get the duffel bag. I went back out and throw it at her. "His things from my house. I should have fucking burn them."

She look at me for a minute before walking out. That feel good.

Soon the time for closing came and I lock up. I was more than ready to go home and soak in a hot tub.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

I lock the door and walk to my car.

"Salem." I press my head against the cold car.

"What do you want from me Dragar?"

"Let's talk."

"There's nothing to talk about."

I open the car door and throw my bag in. I feel him grab my arm and turn me around. I gasp.

"What the hell happened?" I look at the cut on his cheek and the bandage on his arm.

"Don't worry about it. Are you OK?"

"I'm great."

He look around as if expecting something before looking back at me.

"What's really going on Dragar? Do not lie to me."

"There's a tribal war going on. I don't want you to get caught in the middle."

"Why didn't you just say that from the start?"

"The less you know the better."

"I can protect myself you know."

"You're fucking stubborn."

"Don't make me punch you. I'm still mad at you. You should have just told me instead of giving up on us."

"Be careful Salem." I glare at him and push him away from my car.

"We're not together anymore remember? You don't get to tell me what to do."

"Right."

"I hope I don't see you again and I mean that from the bottom of my heart."