Chapter 2

Silas

I put my duffel bag on the end of the bed and groaned as I stretched my back. "What did you think about that girl?" North asked. "Seemed a bit bossy to me."

I rolled my eyes at him, "You just think that because she knew more about your Jeep than you did." He grimaced and muttered whatever, then headed toward the bathroom. I heard the water start so I grabbed my phone and sent a quick text.

Silas: Hey, we are stuck in a small town just outside Lexington. Heavy rains and car troubles. Hoping to get parts tomorrow. We'll keep you guys posted.

Kota: Stay safe and let us know if we need to send out the calvary.

Silas: Nah, but North may need an intervention. He may have met his mechanical match...and she's fiery!

Nate: She?

Silas: Yeah, local handywoman apparently. She was on the roof of the shop we stopped at when we got here. Came in spouting off details about the Jeep that even North hadn't thought of. She helped us get a room for the night and is taking us to the next town over for parts.

Luke: Ha! North is the knight in distress being rescued by a damsel!

North: Fuck off, Lucian

Nate: I see what you mean about an intervention. Grouchy much, North?

North: She made a lucky guess.

Silas: Man, she explained exactly how the Jeep was acting without asking a single question. Admit it, she knows her stuff.

North: Whatever

Kota: Well, have fun with him, Silas. Sounds like it's gonna be a long drive home.

Silas: Will do.

North glared at me as I chuckled. "Get over it, man," and headed in to take a shower of my own.

We sat down in the dining area with a few of the other guests as the rain came down in sheets outside the windows. "Well, looks like I'm stuck here for a couple of days, Carla," Gray's voice said from the doorway. I almost dropped my glass when I saw her. Instead of the coveralls and cap she was in earlier, now she was wearing a tight pair of jeans with a blue blouse that accentuated the curves her earlier outfit had hidden, but what really caught my attention was her platinum silver hair spilling over her shoulders. "Hey, gents, how are ya this evening?" she grinned.

North finally looked up and made a choking sound before stammering, "Um, we...we're good."

She gave him a confused look and sat down after filling her bowl with stew. She took a bite and moaned, "Oh damn, Clara, this is amazing."

I felt my pants tighten at the sound. "Thanks, hun," Clara answered. "You might be right about your stay. Way that rain is coming down, the river will break her banks before morning."

Gray nodded, "Yeah. Might need to check on the widow. I know she'll fuss, but there simply aren't enough sandbags to keep her safe."

"How can we help?" I asked, listening to their conversation.

She gave me a dazzling smile, then answered, "I know you two are in a rush to leave, but if the river crests, the highway won't be safe either. Can either one of you run a tractor?" We both nodded. "Good. If you really want to help, then tomorrow morning we need to head over to Widow Wiler's place and check on her. If it keeps rising, I might just have to kidnap her to get her out safely. For now, we can try to dig a diversion trench." She tapped her bowl as she thought, "Clara, do you have enough kerosene if the power goes?"