Chapter 10

Owen

We pulled into the small town and I was shocked at the damage we saw. The roads were like mud trails even with the asphalt below it. The skies looked like they would tear open at any moment. Every hair on my body was on edge. I could sense his presence even now. Kota and Victor were right, this storm was his doing. We needed to figure out why he was so fixated on this woman and fast. Even with the nine of us, I didn't know how much we could do to hold him off.

Finding the quaint bed and breakfast wasn't much of a problem. We pulled into the roundabout driveway and parked. I'd been elected to locate our brothers. Knocking on the door, an older woman answered the door cheerily. "Sorry to bother you so late ma'am, but our friends are staying here. I was hoping to speak with them - North Taylor and Silas Korba?"

She paused, then grinned, "Oh yes, the two boys helping out Gracie. Come on in, I'll go knock on their door. I don't have any more rooms, but we are almost ready for dinner if you and the others want to join us?"

"That's a kind offer ma'am. As you can see, we have a place to sleep if you don't mind us parking here, but we would be very grateful for a home-cooked meal." She nodded and headed up the stairs. A few moments later she came down with a blush.

"They'll, um, be down in a moment," she said. "How many of you are there?"

"Including myself, there are seven of us," I replied.

She nodded, "I'll set the places in the extra dining area. It's a bit cooler than the rest of the house, but you're welcome to build up the fireplace." Then she hurried off.

I motioned for the others to come in and we waited in the main room until Silas and North came down the stairs with their bond between them. My breath froze in my lungs. She was a striking woman who carried an air of confidence around her. She stopped mid-step when her eyes landed on all of us. "Fuck me," she muttered, her chest rising rapidly.

"Gray," Nate said, stepping forward. Her eyes locked onto him and she jumped into his arms squeezing his neck tightly. "I was so damn scared," he muttered as he clung to her.

"I was too," she cried, cupping his face and kissing him fiercely. As if remembering we were all there she turned and blushed, "I'm sorry."

"I think we all understand perfectly, little ghost," Kota chuckled and winked at her. He raised his hand to her neck. "May I? I'm not sure your human friends would understand our marks. I will only conceal them to others, not you or us."

"Yes, thank you, Kota," she smiled.

His hand hovered over her skin and the marks shimmered with a concealment spell. When his hand grazed her skin he shivered and muttered, "Oh this is going to be fun."

"Gracie Jean, bring your company in," the woman's voice rang out.

"We're coming, Clara," Gray replied took Nate's hand, and led us all to a large dining room with a small brick fireplace in the corner. She stepped forward and started to grab more wood, but North stopped her.

"Let me, baby," he said and winked at her as his hand flicked. The embers in the already low hearth surged and she giggled. "I'm a fire sylph, I can manipulate fire and heat."

Her friend came in and set down platters of bread, soups, and sliced beef. "I'll let you all have some privacy," she said with a knowing grin and slid the pocket doors shut as she left.

Gray sat between Nate and Silas as we all ate talking a bit. "So can you explain a bit about yourselves now, please? I mean, Silas said you are all sylphs and some are more like Nate, but I don't understand it all. My supernatural knowledge is a bit more local if you will," she laughed.

Kota's eyebrow rose, "We are definitely coming back to that comment, little ghost. Now, as for us...I'm an earth sylph and also part necromancer on my father's side. That's how I can see and contact the dead so easily."

"Wait, then how could you see me, Nate?" she turned and asked him.

He frowned and said in a low voice, "I'm also a hybrid - part fire sylph, part vampire. I'm technically half dead so I can see the dead also."

She ran her hand over his jaw, "I meant what I said. You're beautiful, Nate. Please don't ever hide from me in any form." His eyes filled with love as he kissed the palm of her hand and nodded.

"I think you already figured out I'm a water sylph, my love," Silas grinned.

"Me too," Luke grinned. "I'm Luke, North's older brother." She made a confused face and he laughed, "Same mom, different dad.

"Oh," she said, then looked around at the rest of us.

"I'm Victor and I'm also a fire sylph," he bowed his head slightly to her, making her blush.

Sean's eyes sparkled as he turned on his charm, "Such a lovely color on you dear. I'm Dr. Sean Green and I'm an air sylph."

"I'm Owen Blackbourn and I'm an earth sylph. It's a pleasure to finally meet you," I said, my eyes meeting hers. I swear I could hear her heart pounding as she blinked slowly. She finally turned and locked eyes with Gabe.

He tilted his head gently to the side, "I'm Gabriel or Gabe if you prefer. I'm another hybrid - part air, part spirit. You've been touched by death."

Kota looked at him, "What do you see?"

"Her aura is muted like something is pulling on it - He's pulling on it," Gabe said, his face paling. "He's fucking marked her."

"Who the fuck is this "He" you all keep talking about?" Gray demanded.

"He is death himself, ghost," Kota said. "If what Gabe says is correct, it's possible he marked you when you were born and somehow managed to escape his grasp. He doesn't take lightly to those who survive his plan."

"What does he want with me?"

"Who knows? Maybe just to claim you since you keep escaping his clutches, perhaps it's your soul - it shines quite brightly even with his mark," Gabe said, still studying her. "Deathwalkers are rare and he despises them."

"What the fuck is a deathwalker?" she growled, becoming visibly irritated.

Gabe let out a loud laugh, "You're a fucking deathwalker, little girl. You walk in and out of the land of the dead like it's a fucking amusement park. You've sat in his presence and did not yield. You live in one of the most haunted places in the world and act as if nothing is out of the ordinary as you sit here with not one, but nine supernatural beings - three of which you've already bonded with."

Gray gaped, her eyes narrowing at him. "I'm not sure I like you," she spat and stuck out her tongue at him.

He laughed louder, "You like me alright, you just don't like being called out. So that brings us back to your original comment about knowing supernaturals. I think we've shared enough for now. You're fucking turn, Gracie Jean."

Author's Notes:  Hmmmm...just what is Gabe getting pushy about?  Please vote, comment, follow, and share!