Chapter 6

Gray

I'd made it about two miles down the road before I had to pull the truck over. My body was shaking and huge sobs broke from my chest. It felt like there was a heavy weight pushing down on me, making it hard to breathe. I felt the wind pick up and the truck began to shake. I looked up and let out a scream. A dark figure stood before the truck, looking like he was made of swirling winds, his eyes almost glowing then the wind picked up again and he was gone, as if carried away with them.

"Gray, let go of the steering wheel, please," a voice said. I looked over to see North sitting in the seat next to me, his hands over mine. It took several more moments for me to realize the truck was moving toward the river. "Close your eyes," he said as I let go of the wheel. I felt his arm circle around me and the truck swerved violently, then skidded to a stop in the middle of the road. "You can open them now."

I shook as I peeked out. Somehow we were sitting in the back lot of the hardware store and the winds had died down. "H...how did you do that?" I stammered, still tucked in his arm.

"Not really sure how to explain that right now. Let's just say all sylphs have gifts. Are you okay?" His dark eyes looked down at me with concern.

"I don't know. It was like I suddenly became so scared and sad that I had to pull over. Then this man...well, I think it was a man, appeared when the wind picked up. Next thing I know, you're in the truck stopping me from driving into the river." I let my head fall into my hands, "What the hell is going on?"

He pulled me into a hug and stroked my hair, "I wish I knew, Gray." I began to sob just as I had earlier and he continued to hold me. "Shh, baby, we won't let anything happen to you, I promise." I felt warm as if I were wrapped in a soft blanket while he held me and found myself feeling sleepy. "Don't fight it, Gray, just rest. Silas will pick up the stuff you need. For now, let us take care of you."

"Thank you," I mumbled and curled into him without a care in the world.

Silas

We'd finished ten more bags when North suddenly doubled over in pain. "What the hell?" I yelled as I grabbed him. "North, can you hear me?"

He looked up, his eyes fiery red. "He's here," he growled, then whimpered with a painful expression, "Gray."

The moment he spoke her name, I was flooded with her fear and sadness. I half dragged, half carried North away from prying eyes and we both cloaked ourselves and took off in her direction. She looked like she was in a trance as she steered the truck toward the rushing waters. With unspoken agreement, we moved quickly. North entered the cab of the truck and I placed myself between it and the water, pushing streams of water against it as he twisted the steering wheel.

When we teleported the vehicle to the hardware store, he still held her in his arms. The look on his face was complete peace. I found myself grinning as my suspicions were proven true. It only makes sense that she's all our bond. The nine of us have been bound for thousands of years. I can't imagine the gods pulling us apart now.

His eyes met mine and were tear-filled. I know, I told him with a smile. Take your time, I'll grab what she needs.

Thank you, he nodded and placed a kiss on her head. I turned and headed into the hardware shop.

North

I held her in my arms pulling her fears and sadness away. I felt her exhaustion overtake her. "Don't fight it, Gray, just rest. Silas will pick up the stuff you need. For now, let us take care of you."

"Thank you," she mumbled and curled into my chest. Her breath evened out as she fell deeper into the spell. I pulled her into my lap as Silas opened the truck door.

"How is she?" he asked, running his fingers down the side of her face.

"Terrified and exhausted," I said. "She saw him."

His face darkened. "What the hell does he want with her?"

I shook my head, "I don't know, but I knew this storm wasn't natural. Dammit, Silas, do you think he's after her or us?"

He gripped my hand, "I don't know, but the others will be here soon. For now, we won't let her out of our sight." She shifted in her sleep, her tongue darting out over her tongue and I groaned. A sigh passed her lips and she nuzzled me. Silas chuckled, "Just how deep did you put her under?"

"Deep enough to pull her fear," I said. "You know that old widow mentioned she'd been close to death several times. I blew it off then, but now, well now I can feel it. I'm hoping Kota can pinpoint what it is."

"Let's get her back to the inn. We can take her up the back steps and to our room. Hopefully, she won't freak out too much when she wakes up," he said with a sigh.

"Are you sure this is okay?" I asked.

He grinned, "More than okay. I was hoping she was all of ours. I mean, I can't imagine my life without any of you now, North. This way we don't have to."

I agreed, "Yeah, let's just hope Gray feels the same way. One supernatural bond is hard enough, let alone nine of us."

Author's Notes:  And it begins...

Please vote, comment, share, and follow!