Chapter 34

Kota

The jeep skidded into the parking lot as we ran inside with Luke braced between us. The room was swarming with activity, people rushing around - some injured, some just wearing a dazed or terrified expression. Gabe's twisters had done significant damage and it looked as if the entire town had squeezed into this small structure hoping for some sense of stability. A piercing scream silenced the room as all eyes turned toward the emergency bays. Luke folded over, "G...Gray." A short distance away we heard another groan and saw Silas also bent over in pain on a gurney.

"Nurse!" a familiar voice called out as Nate and Victor came around the corner, dragging North who was clearly in pain as well. Gabe and I exchanged glances, both thinking the same thing. The bond was reaching out to them, to all of us in one way or another. Time was running out quickly.

"Get her to triage six," Sean's voice called out as he rounded the corner pushing a gurney. I sucked in a sharp breath as I saw Gray's tear stained face, her hands gripping the side of the bed so hard that her knuckles were white. Reid, on the other hand, was strolling leisurely behind her as if nothing were happening. He smirked at us as he passed, mouthing the word 'nine' with a sadistic look on his face.

He knew. Our time had run out.

"Fuck this," Gabe muttered. He pushed Luke toward me, "Get him a wheelchair and move him closer to where they took Gray, then come back."

"What are you doing, Gabe?" I asked hesitantly.

He gave a wicked grin, "Rounding up our family - one way or another." Then he took off toward North and the others.

"Shit," I groaned as I rolled Luke down the hall.

Gabe

I'd had enough of Reid and his sick game. We had one shot to get this right, and I need to get all of us closer together. If I'm right, this is going to get very bumpy. I noticed Owen sitting in a wheelchair, his head partially bandaged and grimaced. He's gonna be pissed at me when he remembers everything. "Afternoon, Judge Blackbourne," I said as I grabbed the handles and began pushing him toward Luke and Kota.

"Wh...what are you doing? Where are you taking me," he sputtered indignantly. I didn't answer and kept pushing.

"Hey Vic, give me a hand," I said as I passed the trio. North looked like he'd been suckerpunched as he sucked in deep breaths.

"Huh?" Vic answered, his fiery eyes locking on me for a moment of brief clarity. "Oh...oh!"

Kota and I each had the blooms in our coat pockets. As Victor came closer, I grabbed his arm and tugged up the sleeve of his shirt and began reading.

"Spirits of air and light so bright,
Come forth to banish this darkened plight.
With belladonna's mystic grace,
Unveil the mind and clear the space."

"Gabe," Owen sputtered, his eyes watering.

"Hang on, we're not done yet," I grumbled as I heard the others beginning to follow. Anna's voice called out to Silas as his heavy steps fell in line with mine.

"Wh..where is she?" He was clutching his stomach tightly. I nodded my head toward the triage door Kota and Luke stood outside of. In a matter of moments, we all gathered at the door. Tears streamed down Silas's cheeks as he looked inside, while the rest of us gritted our teeth when Gray screamed once again. Looking at Kota, I nodded and he began reciting the second part of the spell.

"By candle's flame and water's flow,
Let trapped thoughts and shadows go.
Wind of wisdom, breath of night,
Free the mind and restore the light.

From binding chains and webs unseen,
Release the spirit, pure and clean.
Echoes of air and light's embrace,
Bring forth clarity, leave no trace.

Spirits, heed this call I make,
For mind's liberation, now awake.
As I speak this ancient plea,
May the mind be boundless, wild, and free."