Martyrdom || Gwen Stacy

"En tu martirio ahógate; es tu destino, ¡entrégate!"

-Martirio, The Warning

A chilling breeze tickled Gwen's skin, her eyes fluttering weakly as the sensation stirred her from her sleep.

She wasn't lying on a very comfortable surface; as she came to, Gwen felt soreness throughout her back and neck that she felt certain would linger for a while. Her eyes began to pick up on certain things on the walls around her-posters, charts, handwritten papers-that she could've sworn she'd seen before.

And as Gwen sat up, she realized exactly why this darkened room was so familiar: the wall in front of her had a noticeable dent, with a classroom desk smack in the middle and impaling the wall with its four legs.

She was back at the scene of the Midtown Prom Incident.

Her head spun around, picking up on slight alterations to this room: these posters, which once had charts for scientific equations written on them, now had the same word repeating over and over again: 'Impending'.

Gwen looked down at herself, seeing her still in the outfit she'd worn before being knocked out. Her head slowly lifted back up to the foreboding desk in the wall before her, and her throat tightened as she thought back to her final battle with the Lizard, which had ripped both Owen Octavius and Peter Parker from her life.

Faint scribbling from behind her made Gwen's head snap around-there was someone seated at a desk, hunched over as they wrote something down.

These nightmares absolutely suck, Gwen thought to herself. But the thought made her heart rate spike with the realization that the spider bite must've worked if she was having these future-telling dreams once again: her powers were back in business.

But what was her spider-sense trying to tell her this time?

She slowly got to her feet and walked towards the desk, her soles lightly tapping with each step as she studied the person's intense scribbling. Eventually, she was close enough to see that the person was writing that word-'Impending'-over and over again.

"I just feel like there's a lot of impending stuff on the way, you know...?" The person mused, his face still peering down at his paper. But Gwen didn't need to see what this person looked like-his voice was more than recognizable enough.

"Owen??"

"...Connors coming back, baseball, and..." Owen trailed off, lifting his head and looking up at Gwen. He winked, grinning as small trails of black ooze began to crawl over his face.

"...THE FALL."

Gwen stumbled backwards as the symbiote engulfed Owen's form, bulking him up and endowing him with the menacing eyes and fangs that had been haunting Gwen for days now. Venom rose from the desk, a deep chuckle in his throat as the blonde quickly scrambled to her feet.

"Can't you ever just be upfront with me about anything?" Gwen snapped in frustration. "The dramatic mind games are kind of getting old-"

"There are no more games," Venom warned, his eyes narrowing angrily as he slowly stomped in Gwen's direction. "You could've had a high place in this world's future... but now? You're going to be torn to pieces as payment for your actions."

Gwen rolled her eyes, slowly sidestepping to strafe Venom. "Uh-huh, so very clear. Why are you trying to make me out to be the bad guy?"

"YOU..." Venom growled loudly, drool falling from his fangs as his mouth watered, likely from the thought of tearing into her flesh. "...You and your friends have killed our father, our god..." He told Gwen, obviously referring to Owen being Otto's son, and the symbiote viewing Otto as a god for his intellect. "...And for that, you will suffer."