End of Beginning |Remus Lupin|

Just one more tear to cry, one teardrop from my eye
You better save it for the middle of the night

It had been seven years. Almost a whole decade since their lives had been shattered and ruined. Almost a whole decade since they had been shaken and tossed around by the merciless hands of life.

When things aren't black and white
Enter, Troubadour, remember twenty-four?

They stood side by side, staring at the grey-bricked castle they used to love. The only thing they felt now was disappointment. Disappointment that their friends couldn't make it to the reunion.

And when I'm back in Hogwarts, I feel it
Another version of me, I was in it

The duo walked into the castle, hand in hand. Their class had decided to hold the reunion on October 31, in memory of James and Lily. In memory of all the friends lost during the Wizarding War.

I wave goodbye to the end of beginning

They shook hands with people, some of who they hadn't seen for a while. It was comforting, yet depressing at the same time. They wished their friends could've been there. All of them.

This song has started now and you're just finding out
Now isn't that a laugh?

People laughed and smiled, joking and happy. Remus sighed and looked away from the people talking to him, wrapping an arm around Y/n. She was shaking. Both of their anxieties were through the roof.

A major sacrifice but clueless at the time
Enter, Caroline
Just trust me, you'll be fine

Their friends had been targeted one by one. Y/n developed anxiety, one of the worst cases Remus had seen. But really, how many people had he been in contact with in the last decade? He was always an introvert. Maybe Y/n's anxiety was normal. How would he know?

~~~

And when I'm back in Hogsmeade, I feel it
Another version of me, I was in it
I wave goodbye to the end of beginning

They stared at Honeydukes, another place they once loved. Remus had been filled with so much anger and frustration after the events that had happened. It seemed as though only Y/n could calm him down. She was the one constant thing in his life.

(Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye)

Remus and Y/n walked away from their former home, hand-in-hand. They apparated to their house, finally able to relax.

~~~

You take the man out of the city,
not the city out the man

It had been ten years. A whole decade since their lives were changed. Turned upside down. Remus felt arms wrap around his shoulders. "Can we visit it this year?" Y/n asked, catching him off guard.

You take the man out of the city,
not the city out the man

"I was going to ask you the same thing."

You take the man out of the city,
not the city out the man

The two linked arms, apparating to a street. It was a quiet street. Dimmed, nearly burnt-out streetlights slightly illuminated the scenery and the pair's faces. A cold autumn breeze hit them, causing them to shiver, huddling together for warmth. They knew the way to their destination by heart. They used to go all the time.

You take the man out of the

They walked for what seemed like ages before stopping in front of their destination. Remus paused, his hand reaching for Y/n's as she began to sob. It was all still so heavy and hurtful.

And when I'm back in Godric's Hallows, I feel it
Another version of me, I was in it

They both knelt to the ground, touching the graves of two of their closest friends. Remus couldn't hold it in. They held each other as they sobbed and grasped at each other. Y/n composed herself and wiped her tears, staring at the grave. "We miss you both. I wish you could be here to see our wedding."

Oh, I wave goodbye to the end of beginning

"I love you guys," Y/n said.

"We'll meet again soon, my friends," Remus whispered before he and Y/n left for their home.

Their new reality.

a/n: this was lowkey a hard one :(