Post Independence

In 1960s Kenya, clothing styles varied widely due to a blend of cultural traditions, colonial influences, climate considerations, and economic factors. Traditional attire, often colorful and adorned with local embellishments, persisted among many ethnic groups. In urban areas influenced by Western trends, European-style clothing became more prevalent.

Practicality, especially in response to the hot climate, influenced the choice of lightweight fabrics. Economic conditions led to self-made clothing in rural areas. Special occasions called for distinctive attire, often more elaborate than everyday wear. Accessories like jewelry and headgear were significant for personal adornment and cultural expression. The mode of dress reflected a diverse and transitional period in Kenyan history.

Societal roles were often traditional, with men predominantly seen as breadwinners and heads of households. The economic challenges of the era often meant that men faced significant pressure to provide for their families. The cultural atmosphere shaped by the aftermath of World War II influenced the change in a shift towards more conservative values on family life.

In traditional Mbeere homes, labor distribution followed gender and age lines. Men primarily engaged in agricultural activities, livestock care, and sometimes hunting, while women handled household chores, childcare, and food processing. Elders provided guidance, made decisions, and preserved cultural traditions. Children assisted with age-appropriate tasks and informal education. This system promoted community interdependence and each family member contributing to the overall functioning of the household.

Following Kenya's independence in 1963, efforts were made to shape the educational landscape. New institutions were established to increase access to education, and there was a deliberate push to Africanize the curriculum. The era witnessed the introduction of national examinations, including the KCPE (Kenya Certificate of Primary Education) and EACE (East African Certificate of Education), to assess academic achievement.

The University of Nairobi was founded, expanding higher education opportunities. Despite progress, challenges such as limited resources and regional disparities persisted, reflecting a dynamic period in Kenya's educational development.

Access to formal education was limited for children. Factors such as the lack of infrastructure, economic challenges, cultural influences, long distances to schools, and agricultural responsibilities contributed to low attendance rates.

Families often faced barriers in sending children to school, and informal learning within the community played a role in shaping knowledge and skills. Educational opportunities gradually improved in later years with increased investment in accessibility. The challenges did not impact my father's family, as demonstrated by the fact that both my father and his youngest brother managed to receive an education.