Grandma's House

The four of us, siblings bound by love and adventure, embarked on a heartwarming journey to our beloved 80-year-old grandmother's countryside home. It had been an astonishing 5 years since our last visit in 1968, and little did we know that this trip would hold such incredible surprises, especially when it came to the wild creatures that roamed the land. Our previous encounters with lions, leopards, cheetahs, or hyenas had been limited to school excursions to the zoo and our father's captivating bedtime stories. With our bags carefully packed, we were ready for a week-long stay, but it was our mother's sage advice that left an impression on us. She wisely suggested that we leave our Sunday's best shoes behind, warning of the muddy terrain awaiting us. We did not question her wisdom, as her words were gospel to us. 

On that sunny Friday morning, the anticipation was palpable as we boarded a bus bound for town and then transferred to a minivan for the long-anticipated journey to Grandma's house. Our excitement reached its peak as we relished a delicious bhajia lunch at the Tea Room restaurant, our smiles betraying the joy bubbling within us. Visiting town was a rare treat for us, and even the simplest of excursions held a special place in our hearts. 

Sunday afternoons were a true delight as we explored Uhuru Park, reveling in a boat ride, savoring ginger cookies, and capturing memories with photographs at the conference center. When we sought a change of venue, visits to Bomas of Kenya or evenings spent at the airport, watching Kenya Airways flights land and take off, provided endless entertainment. Each day ended with a delightful blend of exhaustion and exhilaration as we quietly retired to our beds, hearts brimming with the day's adventures. 

Our journey lasted a grueling two hours, punctuated by a roadside stop for those in desperate need to relieve themselves amidst the bushes. We received a stern warning not to venture too deep into the vegetation, as it might disturb snakes or bring us face-to-face with hairy caterpillars. In those rickety vans, smoking was not a forbidden act; instead, the windows were rolled down, releasing a relentless cloud of smoke into the cramped space. The stench was so overpowering that I had to keep a puke bag handy to dispose of my lunch along the way. 

Despite being the eldest, I felt the most vulnerable, choosing to secure a seat near the front window. While the others marveled at the passing scenery, I leaned against the window, shutting my eyes tightly, determined not to summon that queasy feeling too soon. We finally reached the small town at 5 p.m., where Grandma eagerly awaited our arrival. She possessed the most remarkable feature – a mane of snow-white hair that cascaded all the way to the ground, intricately plaited by her own hand. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman I had ever known. 

As we settled down, she ordered tea, which arrived in oversized, azure mugs. My initial thought was, "How could they serve cold tea on such a chilly evening?" However, that notion vanished as soon as I took a sip. The tea was scorching hot, and I spat it out in an instant, leaving my mouth searing with pain. Laughter erupted all around as I requested a cold beverage to soothe my burn. My inability to drink the tea when it had cooled down only added to my discomfort. Insult to injury, we missed the last ride, and we were now faced with a three-mile trek on foot and the darkness began to envelop us. 

As we ventured deeper into the wilderness along a dirt road, the eerie chorus of crickets filled the air, casting an unsettling atmosphere. With every step away from the tiny Embu town, we found ourselves enshrouded in ever-deepening shadows, as the fading sun surrendered to the emerging moonlight. Grandma, with a sense of urgency, guided us through the dense bushes, her words a steady stream of conversation meant to keep our minds occupied. However, her words did little to drown out the rustling of dry branches that had captured my attention. Walking alongside Grandma, I could not help but let my curiosity get the best of me. I had to know what was lurking in the bushes causing those unsettling sounds.