Bouncing through witty wheels

Surrounded by management hotshots, top-tier captains, and pilots who swapped their wings for Subarus and Range Rovers on land, there I was, the honorary member of the public transport party rubbing shoulders with fresh graduates and newlyweds on the bus ride to the airline gates – the struggles of a car-less comrade. But I turned it into a game! I'd throw down playful challenges, daring my friends with degrees and wedding bands to beat me to the car ownership finish line. The company bus had  been my trusty steed, carrying me through the ranks of seniority and privilege until I finally claimed my four-wheeled victory! 

In the glorious year of '98, I got my hands on my first set of wheels – a stunning Peugeot 504. Back then, getting a driver's license didn't necessarily mean you had the skills to drive. My neighbor Agnes sorted me out with one for just 500 Kenya shillings. By my side was the enthusiastic partner, captivated by the unfolding reality of my achievements. After purchasing a house and adorned a Peugeot with my name, a surreal sense of accomplishment pervaded my experiences.

Things weren't all sunshine and rainbows at home. The marital relationship was a battleground, filled with arguments and my partner adopting habits that left me scratching my head. One day, as the children sat doing homework, the lights went out.

A peek through the window revealed a lit neighborhood, except for our house. I had paid the power bill, handing the money to Lance. To my surprise, he looked just as bewildered as I felt and confessed to sending a friend to pay the bill. Well, talk about pouring gasoline on a fiery situation!

Footsteps in the Mud 

Months had passed since the birth of our daughter, Robin, and while absence had temporarily softened the familial bond, I was now prepared to face the inlaws. Our Peugeot was packed to capacity as we arrived at the family estate, where jubilation awaited our arrival. The matriarch, who had once considered consulting a seer to ensure her son wasn't under a spell, assumed the role of welcoming me and the children with open arms.

Proudly, she led us into her home, signaling for the children to follow suit. Grandpa, flanked by his two wives, uncles, and aunties, greeted us with boundless enthusiasm. The residence buzzed with relatives of all ages, creating a lively atmosphere with nearly a hundred individuals proudly claiming allegiance to one big, extended family. It was a mesmerizing spectacle, as we engaged in a seemingly endless exchange of handshakes, leaving me fatigued from the effort of maintaining a perpetual smile. 

These gatherings rotated among various venues, with each brother and uncle eager to host the event in their homes. The family spared no expense, slaughtering a cow and several goats to ensure the colossal group was well-fed during these joyous reunions. On occasion, I convened meetings to confront the marital issues stemming from my supposed husband's misconduct. However, after the second meeting, I made the decision to cease dwelling on the grievances and allow life to unfold naturally. In simpler terms, I decided to let it go. Furthermore, we were not legally married. There was never a proposal, and it seemed he may have just been passing time.

The Anniversary 

We received an invitation to Sherri's parents' wedding anniversary – a heartfelt occasion where vows would be renewed. The journey took a grueling 4 hours, but upon arrival, we were greeted with a feast of delectable food. The venue was filled with relatives from another branch of the extended family. Thankfully the rainy weather held up long enough for us to enjoy the celebration before seeking shelter from the impending downpour.

Oddly, my supposed husband drove off, leaving us to navigate the muddy paths on foot. He was accompanied by Susan, who happened to be Zak's girlfriend - someone I couldn't stand and harbored a deep aversion toward her presence. The potential for conspiracy didn't bother me much as my mind was fixated on achieving my dream of flying to America. I lived in a state of suspense, eagerly awaiting to see how God's plan would unfold. I referred to this struggle as nothing more than a passing cloud.