Paternal Grandparents

My grandfather, a towering figure, stood 6" ft 11"inches stooped to enter doorways and relied on a walking aid for mobility. He was a man of three wives, each with her own story. His first wife bore him just one child before Grandpa beat her to death. It was commonly known that Grandpa was bitter and had killed a man he believed fornicated with his first wife.

His third wife, bore four children. Both first and third women were tall and fair. However, it was his second wife, Grandma Esther, who stood apart from the others. She was short and had a darker complexion.

Grandma Esther had a unique backstory; she had been brought into the family as an orphan from Kitui and married my grandfather, a union seemingly guided by fate more than choice. She too lived away from Grandpa for fear of being beaten to death. 

 In our community, when orphaned children reached the age of 15, it was expected that they would be considered for marriage. Alternatively, they might serve as helpers, fulfilling what was believed to be the natural order of things. 

 A man's wealth was often measured by the number of children he had and the bountiful harvest he could produce. Grandma Esther, however, reached the age of 16 without finding a suitor and had to leave the orphanage to make way for younger children. The tragedy that led to her being orphaned remained untold. 

Through Grandma Esther, we established a connection to the Kamba tribe, from which she hailed. She was a humble woman who spent most of her latter days basking in the sun. She rarely engaged in small talk and spoke only when spoken to. She lived to the remarkable age of 114. In her final days, her health declined. 

A broken hip left her unable to walk, and her sight deteriorated to the point where she could only identify voices. She sat on the ground in a dimly lit room with a slightly ajar door. Before my cousins went to bed, they would lock her door to protect her from hyenas. The last time I spoke to her, she could barely recognize me, yet we shared a heartfelt laugh and a warm hug. My only regret is not spending more time engaging her in stories from her past.