Graduating High School

In a mere three months, I'll be venturing into a new chapter of my life, marking the end of my overnight OTC bus journeys to boarding school. Throughout the night, the bus would travel non-stop, with a single break at Naivasha for passenger drop-offs and pickups. On this journey, there were several students from other schools, predominantly boys, but I always rode solo. Unable to sleep in motion, I stayed awake throughout the night, gazing at the fleeting shadows outside.

Armed with a bit of pocket money, I indulged in a peculiar habit—I purchased a packet of cigars. My routine involved slipping away for a restroom break during my afternoon math class, skillfully choosing moments when our limping math teacher, Albert, was engrossed in conducting the class. This clandestine activity became a bi-weekly occurrence, spanning three months. Surprisingly, it stood as my only transgression during my school days. While other girls were sneaking out by jumping fences and going on dates, my rebellious act involved those discreet moments with cigars. 

I remember my friend Veronica, who unfortunately contracted a sexually transmitted disease during a period when our understanding of STDs was limited. Her relationships encountered hurdles as classmates were reluctant to let her share their beds, fearing potential transmission. If someone had suggested that breathing was a dreadful ailment, we would have been queuing up for a cure. It was a time of naivety and innocence. Then came Mary Simon. Mary gave birth to a stillborn baby and disposed of it in the toilet. During my sophomore  (form 2) year in high school, my knack for reading had intensified. To find a peaceful spot, I used to vanish behind the dormitories and perch on a rock to indulge my books. 

It was during one of these solitary reading sessions that Old Man Njogu, the grounds man stumbled upon me and kindly introduced me to a special treat. He brought me some herbs and suggested that I chew on them whenever I needed to focus on my studies. These herbs were known as 'miraa' (Khat). They functioned like a sharp needle, as during that term, my grades reached their peak. On that specific Saturday afternoon, as was my routine, I made my way to the rear area. Just before I could locate a comfortable spot to settle down, my attention was drawn to an obstruction in the open trench. Positioned upright and supported by a mound of feces, my curiosity overwhelmed me, and I couldn't resist getting a closer look. 

To my utter astonishment, I realized that it was, indeed, a tiny baby. Acting swiftly, I hurried to inform Njogu, and together we witnessed the unexpected scene before promptly heading to the principal's residence to report our unsettling discovery. Following this revelation, all students underwent a thorough medical examination to identify who had undergone an abortion, with the sole piece of evidence being a blood-stained sheet discovered in Mary's locker. She seemed to have played the role of a remarkable superhero! After giving birth, she was observed leaping around the game's field, as if she had just clinched an Olympic gold medal. Talk about skipping the "new mom" handbook and going straight for the "superhero" manual! 

Then came Rosetta Kajuju, the dynamic newcomer stirring up attention! Standing tall and armed with a profound understanding of human rights, she defied the stereotype of a typical Meru girl. Having recently transferred from a school in the Western province, Rose left an indelible mark wherever she went, her boundless energy and fearless attitude making waves at every turn. She spearheaded a protest that commenced in the dining hall, where we collectively resolved not to eat, discarded our Irio (maize and beans meal), and called for an enhanced menu. The students indulged in food tossing, transforming the once orderly dining room into a chaotic scene. 

The protest persisted for several hours until the school administration decided to enforce a punishment, sending the entire student body to bed on empty stomachs. The meals provided were marred by weevils and carried an unpleasant scent of paraffin, purportedly in an effort to suppress our hysteria.